Is there a defect in the Ford Fusion engine?

To make an attempt a trying to figure out what went wrong with your particular Fusion some more info needed.
How many total miles on the vehicle?
You say that you change the oil every 3k miles. How often is that is time, which is also a factor?
How often do you check the engine oil level and what is the oil level when the problem surfaced?

A complaint of “mysteriously missing oil” and thrown or bent rods in most cases point to a vehicle owner error so complaints like that should be taken with a grain of salt.

@texases, I believe Consumer Reports doesn’t keep vehicles in their fleet long enough to see long-term pattern failures.

For example, the Toyota 2.4 liter 2az-fe has had major problems. And it was the bread and butter 4-cylinder for many years, in several different models. I’m talking severe oil consumption and stripped head bolt threads in the block.
Consumer Reports gives various Camrys with that engine very high marks over the years.
But Toyota has also issued several technical service bulletins over the years concerning that engine.

Go ahead and google 2az-fe and see what you come up with.

I’m not complaining about Toyota. I’m just using this as an example that looking at CR isn’t looking at the whole picture.

I was contemplating buying a used 2005 Camry with the 4-cylinder.
After paying to log onto the Toyota technical information website and reading all the TSBs, I decided to go with a used 2005 V6 Camry instead, as that engine didn’t have any TSBs concerning major mechanical engine problems.

I have no personal experience with this Ford engine, but somebody should log onto the Ford technical information website and check it out. It might be revealing.

@db4690 - the CR reliability ratings are from the surveys they send out, not the tests they run. So long term trends come out of the surveys, like the bad head gaskets in the 2.5l Subarus. The bad head gaskets seem to take about 5 -6 years to show up. We’ll see with our 2007 Forester…

@texases, thanks for the info

CR uses a small sample with no determination as to whether a complaint about a vehicle is even a valid one so IMHO they’re an aid but should not be taken as the gospel truth and many cars suffer far more problems than my be perceived.

My youngest son has a 90s era Camry and a problem he experienced after leaving here on a holiday visit once led to my spending some time with a wiring manual while he took one of my cars back home. This lowly blown fuse escapade led me all over the place until I found what could be called a number of “what in the hxxx were they thinking” moments with the electrics.

As I told the son later; those electrical engineers should be taken to the woodshed, maybe twice a day for infinity. :slight_smile:

Usually Rod Knock bearing failure is do to lack of lubrication, because of oil starvation do to little or no oil in engine. Other causes could be that antifreeze got into the oil because of a bad head gasket, or oil pump failure, but more times then not its lack of oil.

car has 101,000 miles. I was disappointed when I had transmission problems within 10,000 but otherwise loved the car. I have always had it drilled into me to maintain my vehicles and have been proactive about this. I have attached a link to just 2 of multiple links I found of similar situations. http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Escape/2006/engine/engine_failure.shtml http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Escape/2007/engine/engine_failure.shtml

Knowing not everyone will even take the time to post, I have to assume there are many more out there then mine or those listed here,

It is such a common motor I would pursue a replacement. That is, if you are satisfied with the body condition and transmission. I would hate to replace it and find transmission problem latter. As stated, it was for years a solid Ford/Mazda motor and there should be plenty available. If you even suspect that the body has started to rot anywhere, then, your payback may not be worth it.

I purchased a used 2008 in August 2017 for my daughter to go back and forth to school. It’s been out of commission since September 2018 and I still owe on it.

You bought a 9 year old used vehicle that was not as good as you thought. Apparently instead of fixing it you just let it set . Do you really think that is Ford’s fault and posting on this old thread will not solve anything.
Now if you start your own thread and explain why it failed maybe you can get some guidance.

So why is it out of commission? It could be a simple matter such as a fuse that has given up or an engine seized due to lack of oil.

I’d hate to see it sitting forever because of a 25 cent fix.

I found 3 reporting similar to you. The fails were due to lack of oil between regular changes. Did your mech check after the fail? One owner had an engine replaced at 3K miles, again at 100K, and her Toyota dealer found no reason (probably didn’t look). Checking oil after a change, then monthly, would have probably spared those engines.

While searching, ads popped up, selling used engines.

Perry look at the dates . Ivar has not been here since April of 2012.

1 Like

I have a 2006 Ford Fusion with a 4 cylinder 2.3 L engine. The timing chain broke, the engine must be replaced. The mileage is currently at 212,000 km.
Is it better to get a used engine or a rebuilt engine?
Also, once I find a replacement engine, my mechanic will install it for $1,000.00. Is that a fair price?

Used engine will be cheaper, rebuilt (if a quality job) will probably last longer. How long do you expect to own it?

As for the installation cost, I don’t have a good idea, you might check with a couple of other good shops in your area.