Is the engine junk

if it’s a 4x4 22re and it ran for a second, it’s probably worth the 500 bucks

Agreed. Thanks. It just turned -40 the project is on hold

You should never gamble more than you can afford to lose. And this one is a definite gamble.

Since the engine apparently ran, albiet momentarily, that suggests that the truck has possibilities. That 22R engine is one of the most bulletproof motors ever produced. The three most important questions that need asking are

1. do you plan to fix this up yourself?
  2. do you have the mechanical aptitude and tools to do so?
  3. can you afford to lose the $500 if you discover that the breake system needs to be rebuilt, the fuel system needs to be cleaned out, the engine needs to be fully tuned up, and the ahocks and ball joints need replacing, all for $X,000?

And, will the truck then be worth what you’ve sunk into it?

You cannot expect that this truck, or any other 21 year old vehicle not currently roadworthy, will be safe and reliable with only some minor and inexpensive repair. This should be looked at as a project vehicle. The $500 is only the beginning of the expendatures.

In summary, expect to need to redo the brake system. Expect to need to redo the fuel system. Expect to have to change the shocks and perhaps a chassis component or two. Expect to need to go through the cooling system thoroughly, and expect to replace the radiator as a minimum. Expect to need to at least do a full tuneup. Expect to need some chassis work. And accept the possibility that you might get it home and discover that the compression is shot and the $500 was wasted.

I can do all the work myself. Its a toyota 4x4 that i heard run. Its got to be worth 500 in parts

Only if you can sell the parts.

Truthfully, any vehicle that old should be expected to need some work on its chassis, engine, cooling system, and brakes as a minimum. If it’s been parked for an extended period, it’s reasonable to expect the fuel system to need work too.

The good news is that that’s a rock-solid engine and drivetrain, the frame rotting that killed the '79s had been resolved (although it reappeared in later versions), and the basic chassis is solid, even thought you can expect to replace things like shocks, bushings, and perhaps ball joints or tie rod ends.

I loved my '89 Toyota pickup. I bought it new, maintained it myself, and it finally got totalled at 338,000 miles. But on the one you’re looking at, you need to expect to do some work.

Take into consideration that im in Fairbanks Alaska 350 miles from anywhere. I looked at a 85 the other day that had very little rust. I see vehicles here older that have little or no rust and parts in a place like this (350 mi from anywhere)they tend to sell. Toyotas are cherished around here partially for there great heaters.

Then by all means, scoop it up.

I learned when I lived in North Dakota that vehicles in extreme cold all winter don’t rust. Firstly, the temperature stays too cold for salt to help so they use almost all sand instead (all salt does is lower the freezing temp, and at extreme temperatures it’s useless). Secondly, residue that gets on the vehicle never gets wet if nothing ever melts. Ergo, no rusting occurs.

The downside is that extreme cold is hard on the mechanicals. But it sounds like your choices in used vehicles up there are extremely limited, so you have to take a chance.

They dont use sand here they use what we call E-chip its about 3/8 inch rock. Im pretty sure the broken windshields outnumber the unbroken.

Well, you seem to have already made up your mind to buy this vehicle before you posted your original question. But $500 is no bargain for a 4X4 that is this old, even if it is running.