Is synthetic oil better than conventional oil in older cars

When i went on Amazon to look for oil just in case we use a company that comes to the house, when i click on Valvoline oil it keeps saying this doesn’t fit your vehicle. Funny no other oil says that.

Oil goes in any vehicle and if you use a mobile service they will bring the oil . You are making this way to difficult . It does not have to be Valvoline because even house brands will work.

1 Like

Yeah i know I’m being way to paranoid

1 Like

COVID-19 transmission is significantly lower outside. If it’s cold, dress appropriately and wait outside go when there isn’t anyone else there, like when the shop opens. Make an appointment for the first thing in the morning, or talk to the shop and find out what time of day their waiting room has the fewest people. If you tell them your concerns for your mother, maybe they will accommodate them.

2 Likes

In your case I would use a good quality conventional oil and change it every 2500-3000 miles. A 1993 car with only 33K means that the car is only driven on short trips so there is a lot of short trips . Short Trips are harder on cars/engines than long ones. The really big reason for using synthetic is when the engine oil is used for another use besides just lubrication. Variable Valve /Cam Timing often uses engine oil as Hydraulic Fluid , and Turbos use engine oil to cool the Turbo Bearings. Synthetic Oil will not "thin out " at elevated temperatures . Weirdly enough Synthetic Motor Oil is made from Natural Gas which comes out of the same hole in the ground as crude oil does.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know, we plan on going today to Valvoline, i got the hood open i wanted to make sure it would open before we went. I checked the oil and it’s definitely darker now, last time i checked in June it was more of a golden brown so good thing we are going today.

If the average weight of an oil filter is around 9oz then that’s under 20 tons.

the filter would have some oil trapped in it beyond what you drain out, probably closer to a pound, which would put the number closer to 34.5 short tons. Even if you figure say 12 oz, that still comes out to 25.875 short tons, a significant amount. But yes, that is less than 1,000 (quick math in my head error :laughing:).