Is my fuel pump leaking?

It’s covered with fuel; fuel drips off and gets thrown up by the belts and their slipstream onto the air cleaner and the underside of the hood - good thing I didn’t have an engine fire.

I took it off, attached a tube that goes to a bucket of water, work the action, water comes out of the hole on the bottom. Does that mean it has failed?

I replaced the original in 2009 because it no longer pumped; it didn’t leak.

The tubing and gaskets seem okay (I plan to replace them anyway.).

Toyota pickup, '87, gasoline, carbureted, 4-cylinder, 2WD, California emissions, long-bed, Xtra-cab, zest appeal

1 Like

The diaphragm in the fuel pump has ruptured.

Does the engine oil smell like gas?

Tester

2 Likes

Sounds like the diaphragm failed, there is a bleed hole in the pump to let the fuel drip if the diaphragm fails so that gasoline does not enter the engine’s crankcase.

4 Likes

Sounds like you answered your own question. Time for a new fuel pump.

Takes a lot of effort to run a fuel pump by hand, doesn’t it?

1 Like

C’mon, Troll . . .

:wink:

2 Likes

Easy peasy if it’s one of those that mount on the engine.

1 Like

That was my guess.

Unfortunately my sense of smell is shot. I had to look to see the gas on the air cleaner and fuel pump. The emissions test guy smelled it without popping the hood. What’s the danger of gas in the oil? What would one do about it?

I don’t see how this happens. If the fuel pump doesn’t work, doesn’t fuel just not get pulled out of the tank?

I’m not a motorhead. I may have missed something else; something more serious could have caused the problem; perhaps I should look out for some other problem. I’m also putting paid to a thread I started a few weeks ago: this was the problem.

More than I would have thought for something that moves so little fuel. I have to use both hands. Why is it that hard? Does it need to return quickly? It relies on the spring to recoil.

Yes. I did it before. I wasn’t lamenting, just getting confirmation.

Why does it have 3 ports? Neither the Haynes nor the Chilton explains it or puts it in their diagrams.

Gas is a lousy lubricant. Change the oil and filter.

2 Likes

The 3rd port is the return line back to the tank for operating situations where the pump output more fuel than needed.

2 Likes

It has been a couple of years, if only 500 miles.

I bought a Delphi. It’s slightly different. The old one (an Airtex I bought in 2009) came with a 4mm nylon spacer that its instructions tell me I have to use. The Delphi doesn’t and doesn’t mention it; neither do Chilton or Haynes though the diagrams show it. Should I not-use it?

This!
similar to a water pump weep hole.

What did you come up with if you didn’t get it done yet I would measure everything to the old pump and compare it to the new pump using the spacer and not using the spacer and see if he can see anything.
If the Delphi fits you’ll be better off I know airtex electric fuel pumps are hit and miss mostly junk (the ones in the tank)
Let us know what you came up with. (May help someone else out researching)