Is it just me, or are dealer service departments in deep trouble?

I do not trust any dealer unless it is under warranty. Find a good local garage and mechanic that you can trust and stick with them. I do 99% of all of my own repairs but on rare occassion have had to take something to the only garage which I can trust. I have witnessed so many unknowing people get ripped off by dealers and chain run garages. Last time I was to a Ford dealer several years ago was my very last time to any dealer. Had bought a used Ford van which had an engine miss. I was going on vacation within a few days, in a hurry, and took it to a local Ford dealer. After several hundred dollars which included their “Computer Diagnostic”, etc. for repairs, I was on the road. Within a few weeks, the miss was back and later actual cause was determined to be a bad head gasket. Needless to say, I was out the several hundred dollars and costs to myself to repair it properly.

I have found that in any large city stay away from the dealers and use independent shops. The best way to find a good repair shop is to use the mechanics files on this website. Independent dealers in small towns (not owned by a big city dealer), however can be honest and reasonable. I recently had my evaporator replaced on a 98 Dodge Caravan. Minneapolis Dealer price $1400 small town Dodge dealer in Northern Minnesota price $750. Had a similar experience with my Suburban out in Miles City Montana. Was driving thru when my engine satrted running rough and the check engine light came on. Stopped into the Chevrolet dealer and they fixed the problem for about half of what a Twinc Cities dealer would have charged.