Please help with Servicing Question!

I have a servicing question.I have a ML320 2000 Model. It has approx 12700 miles on it.The servicing at the dealership that I have been going is very expensive.Is there another option for me.Each time I go I have panic attacks.I do not know enough to take a bold step and find an alternative.I want tp keep the car as long as it lasts.For example this servicing I will go on May 1st costs me $1500.00,

1.change coolant $90.00

2. B flex service $400.00

3. Replace brake fluid $90.00

4. Replace automatic transmission fluid and filter$ 260.00

5. replace rear brake pads $ 600.00

6. The mirror to the side of the passenger seat $ 250.00 approx.

I need help with a second option. Servicing is very important.Please help.

A Benz can be a pricy car to keep up and depending on where you live, labor rates can be pretty high in comparison to other areas.

Most of what you list doesn’t sound too out of line except for that rear brake pad replacement. I’ll have to assume there is more to this repair than a simple pad replacement and involves replacing the rotors with factory OEM brake rotors. If this is the case, then the price could be about right on that also.

You should price these services around. You do not need to have these services done at a Benz dealer. Matter of fact, it’s a good idea to always get a couple or three estimates on any repair that is done. Hope that helps.

You are right - servicing is very important, so kudos to you since many people don’t pay enough attention to basic maintenance.

There are options other than the dealerships - you just need to find them. Most any area has many many independent mechanics. Some of those are good, some not so much. Some will specialize in certain categories of cars - such as high end imports. What you need to do is start asking around and looking for a reputable shop. Check out your yellow pages in the auto repair/service category. Look for shops that advertise as specializing in mercedes. Ask around among anyone and everyone that you know for where they take their cars. Do not use any corporate chain shops - look for local, independently owned, owner operated types of places. When you find one that word of mouth says you can trust, bring your car in. I have always started by having a conversation that says I am looking for a regular shop to use where people there get to know me and my car, and I get to know the people there. This makes a big difference.

As for that list - are you saying that the rear brakes will be replaced only based on mileage? A brake inspection makes sense, but you don’t just replace brakes based on some kind of interval. What is a B flex service? Is it in the owner’s manual? The other stuff looks normal.

.The servicing at the dealership that I have been going is very expensive.Is there another option for me.

Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car.  They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies.  They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent. 

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new.  

There is no need to bring your car to the dealer for any service other than service that is going to be paid for by a recall or original warrantee.  During the warranty period be sure to have all required (as listed in the owner's manual) maintenance done and to document all maintenance work.

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic. 

Note: Never ever use a quick oil change place. They are fast cheap and very very bad.