Is 200K the end of the line?

I have an '95 Izusu Trooper with 175K. Can the motor

go for over 200K, or am I living on borrowed time.?

No, there is no “magic” number a vehicle lasts. It has many depends including prior maintenance and driver habits/style and LUCK.

I do not know about Izusu, but if you have serviced you car properly you may get another 30K to 40K miles. I have a Toyota camry 1989 and a Toyota corolla 1992. Both have 199,400 miles and they are still running very well. I am the owner since they were new. Of course I have changed a few parts here and there but never missed a service. I am planning to keep them for another couple of years. So 200K is not the end of the line for me.

If you’ve kept up with maintenance you should be okay for awhile. I recently traded in a '94 Ford Aerostar with 215K that still ran well. Just keep in mind that you will have extra repairs and you’ll need to decide if an engine with 180K+ is worth the money.

I know Volvos aren’t typical, but I once sold one with over 350 miles on it.

That was supposed to say 350,000…

A lot does depend on the engine and engine maintenance. I had a Acura Vigor with 225,000 miles on it when I sold it. The engine was made of aluminum with cast iron sleeves. I always changed oil and oil filter every 5K. Did mostly city driving. No towing or dirt roads. Changed typical Honda parts, timing belt, water pump BEFORE they went bad.

I wish you lots of luck. I always have had Mercedes and I treat them beautifully-to no avail. I’ve never had one last long enough to snag one of those neat ornaments for the grill. Hope springs eternal, I’m on my 6th, a c-class wagon.

I would drive it until it dies.

We have a 91 Dodge Caravan with 230k and still running strong…only problem is I hit a deer with it so it won’t pass inpsection w/o significant work. Still runs and drives great though:)

There are vehicles on the road today with well over 300,000 miles on them. My favorite Honda mechanic has a customer who’s approaching 400K with an Accord. Keep doing the maintenance and see how long it will last. Don’t give up and assume 200K is the end.

It does still run good, and I do all the maintainence. The bumpers are rusting out
but other than that the body is still good.

thanks.

I’m on my second Volvo with 400K +

How is it running now??? Has it been maintained properly throughout it’s life???

Some vehicles no matter how well you maintain them will NEVER reach 200k miles. My Vega fell into that category.

200k is NOT that high on a properly maintained vehicle. I’ve had 4 vehicles go well past the 200k mark…and 3 of them go past the 300k mark. And of those 3 I know one of them was still running at over 400k on origional engine.

200k is likely plausible but of course anything can happen. It really depends on the first 175k miles of its life(maintenance, driving habits and driving type city/highway) AND luck.

Mileage has little meaning. Which car would you value more; a NYC metro car with 50k miles or one from rural Arizona with 50k highway miles? They both have the same mileage, they must be equal, right?

I, personally, would not proactively upgrade my car unless there was a finacially compelling reason to do so. However, I realize that some people have more risk tolerance than others. If you’re already uncomfortable with the prospect of failure, it may be time to move on regardless of the speculation on longevity by other people.

I have an 89 Accord with 425,000 miles on it, original clutch, no major engine work, still starts every time, leaks a little oil (1/2 a quart every oil change or so) doesn’t smoke, gets 30 mpg and is really comfortable. No magic number on mileage or age, just take care of it until it becomes more expensive or problematic than you can deal with. Good luck! Rocketman

I am trying to catch up with Rocketman and his '89 Accord with over 425K miles on it. My daily driver is an '89 Honda Accord LX-I with over 358K miles on it. Original engine. Doesn’t burn oil; leaks a little between oil changes. It has NEVER been serviced by anyone other than myself. If you perform the scheduled maintenance and don’t let it overheat, you should be able to get more miles from your vehicle.

I strongly agree with this post.

The number of 400k is meaningless. Ask the high mileage owner who mileage is applied and typically they go 25k/year - 30k/year mainly on the highway which is easier on the car than 10k/year in NYC with 90% of trips <5 miles.

Hey there CaptJax! Keep on driving, you’ll get there! Nnice to hear from you. Rocketman