Intermitant starting problem

My 1967 Chevy truck every once and a while refuses to engage the starter. It only happens a couple of times a year. All of the electrical seems to be working, lights, fans etc… but not even a click from the starter. I try an hour later and it starts right up and continues starting for months.

Some of my suspects -

1 - Gear position sensor (it is a turbo 400 automatic)

2 - Ignition switch

3 - Short in the fusible link

4 - Faulty starter solenoid

Not sure where or how to start testing for this problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

The problem might be with the park/neutral safety switch. The next time the engine won’t start try shifting the transmission into neutral and then try starting the engine. If the engine starts, the P/N safety switch is the problem.

Tester

That is what I suspect as well but I have tried shifting into neutral and the problem persists. I pretty much run the gears a couple of times and try in both neutral and park but no go, only time seems to correct the problem. I suspect I need to test the park/neutral safety switch but am not sure how to do that the next time this happens.

Any thoughts?

Pull the connector off the neutral safety switch put a jumper wire between the two sockets in the connector. If it starts then replace the switch.

Makes sense. I will tack the switch down and make it a plan.

Thanks!