Intake Manifold + Starter Relationship

Hi! I have a 2004 Honda CR-V and have unofortunately had some codes pop up. About 3 months ago my starter had to be replaced. I now know replacing the starter is quite a process where pretty much everything has to be taken out. Today I had codes checked and they popped up P1077 Honda Intake Manifold Runner. After googling, it seems the Intake Manifold is right above the starter and has to be removed in order to get to the starter. Any chance the two issues are related and are a result of the intake manifold being handled recently? Thanks for any suggestions or help!!

1 Like

I’d go back to whoever did the starter work and ask them. It seems possible to me.

1 Like

Not from what I see. To replace the starter on the Honda L4-2.4 engine, according to what I’m seeing here, all you have to do is remove a couple of electrical connectors and a bolt securing a harness bracket, then the two wires going to the starter, unbolt it from the engine, and it’s out. No intake manifold involvement. I’m not saying they didn’t mess w/the intake manifold, but it doesn’t appear to be necessary to replace the starter. It might be easier to do it that way though.

I think the P1077 code is due to some problem in that area, and not related to the starter job. Ask your shop to try this: There’s a vacuum hose connected to the intake runner actuator. There should be a vacuum in that hose at idle. If that’s ok, turn the engine off and make sure the actuator holds vacuum (using a vacuum pump). There’s other things that can go wrong in that area, but those two are fairly easy to check it appears. A careful visual check to make sure all the vacuum hoses are connected and in good condition makes sense of course, before assuming something more complicated.

Note , there may be ECM software updates available for the intake runner function too.

1 Like