Installing a replacement windshield

I need to do this for my truck. But puzzled by the comment in LMC’s catalog (link below) saying to install the rubber to the cab first, then install the windshield. I’ve only ever heard of this done by installing the rubber to the windshield first, then the windshield/rubber combo to the cab.

Don’t DYI this. Let a pro do it.

8 Likes

Let’s set aside that issue for now. Have you ever heard of this being done by installing the rubber to the cab first? I’m thinking that may be a typo of some sort.

You asked this same question back in January, 2023.

Tester

You didn’t post back then. Do you have no opinion on this topic?

A classic-Ford link which appears to suggest the seal is supposed to be fitted to the windshield first.

How many people will be helping you do this?? That you trust not to break the windshield…

Most pro mechanics don’t do this themselves, as breaking the windshield even for a pro is very easy to do…

1 Like

Quite a few guys

Him, he and himself

It apparently can be done either way. I think I have seen it done each way on car TV shows.

Tester

So the windshield is $150 + $150 for truck shipping, + rubber $40 + sealant, tools etc etc…

That alone is over $350 all said and done plus tax… Plus you are going to need at least one other person, probably two more to help you… You will have no guarantee to not crack the new glass and or have a water leak afterwards…
Looks like you can have the windshield replaced by pros that come to you and install it for about the same money or much less…
That would be like doing your own timing belt when the dealer could do it cheaper… Why bother???

If you are just wanting to play windshield replacement guy, then go to an old school junk yard (if any left in Cali) and practice on a junk car or something… lol

2 Likes

Several years ago my daughters car had deer damage to a rear door. The body shop had a glass shop come in to handle removal and replacement of the window. These are skilled auto body techs who deferred to glass experts. Unless you want to do this for fun or experience turn to the pros.

1 Like

Interesting. I’ve only seen it done on u-tube vdo’s and repair manuals, by placing the rubber seal around the windshield perimeter along with the cord first, then holding the ass’y up against the windshield frame from the outside, and pulling the cord toward the rear, from the inside, just like is shown in the vdo above. The reason I ask is b/c I can’t imagine how you’d do it any other way. If you install the rubber/cord to the cab first as suggest by LMC, then hold the windshield against the frame from the outside, you’d have to pull the cord from the outside, pulling forward. Seems pretty awkward.

Maybe I’m misinterpreting what LMC means by installing the rubber on the cab first?

As far as the wisdom of making this a diy job, no dispute. My insurance company will pay for the entire thing, parts and labor. Maybe with increasing insurance costs, there may a small deductible fee to me at the worst. The last time 20 years or so past , the truck’s windshield was replaced at no charge to me at all. I’m just interested in the challenge I guess. (I won’t incur the $150 truck shipping fee, will buy the glass locally instead.)

Saw a guy trying to remove one at junkyard. He seemed to be going at it roughly. I walked by 1/2hr later and it was broke and he was gone.

I’ve had five or six windshields replaced and never paid a dime. I didn’t bother them working in my garage so have no idea how they did it, nor do I care. In 1968 though my Pontiac needed one so I bought the windshield from the junkyard and had a moonlighting body guy put it in for $25. Broken when I bought the car.

Here’s an idea for why you might want to fit the rubber seal to the cab’s window opening first: It’s just a trial fitting, to make sure the seal is the exact correct length, has no kinks, so it fits snugly to the cab opening all the way around. Once that’s confirmed, then you remove it and place the seal on the perimeter of the windshield on the bench, and proceed w/ the normal method.

Mystery solved?

I always wondered what they do if the string breaks?

Safelite used to say that they would do the job at your location or waive the $50 deductible if you bring it to their shop. If your insurer uses Safelite, you might as them if they will waive the deductible. If you go that route, verify that Safelite will waive the deductible before they start work. They denied making that offer after we had the windshield replaced once. I insisted and the cashier eventually relented. Still, you don’t want to spend time arguing after the job is done. If they refuse to waive the $50 (or whatever) after telling you that they would waive it, then set up a time for them to go to your place to replace the windshield. I bet they change their tune.

This isn’t about insurance . . .

Safelite wanted to charge considerably more to replace glass, versus a small shop that was’t a national chain

Correct. Not about insurance nor the price to have a windshield installed, nor which is the best vendor. To reiterate from the first post, the thread’s issue is concerned w/the ordering of installation tasks , specifically:

“puzzled by the comment in LMC’s catalog (link below) saying to install the rubber to the cab first, then install the windshield”

Current thinking is that the LMC comment isn’t saying to install the rubber to the cab, then install the glass to the cab. Just to start the job by doing a trial fit of the new rubber to the the “cab”, which I presume is the windshield frame’s flange.