Installilng battery disconnect isolator switch

I have this car that I refer to as the AntiChrysler (88 Buick LeSabre). It has an electrical issue that causes the battery to drain. I need it to last six more weeks. A friend suggested I install a battery isolator switch or a battery disconnect switch.

Are these the same thing?

I bought a battery isolator switch on my way home tonight, but there are no instructions with it and the instructions the clerk gave me just confused me.

Does anyone have any experience with these things?

These devices are the essence of simplicity. Remove the battery cable from the negative post and place your gadget on the post. Attach the free cable end to its other side. Tighten all connections. You’re in business.

I’m sorry, I forgot to mention this is a side post battery.

The isolator switch I bought has two terminals it. The positive battery cable has two parts, but the clerk said I needed a third cable to go to “wherever the inner part of the cable goes” (to the coil or the starter).

I’m thinking I bought the wrong part.

Is the switch meant for a top post battery? If so, you can still get little adapters that will do what you need.

An isolator is normally used in multiple battery applications to isolate one or more batteries from the others. Common use is to isolate an auxilliary electronics battery from the main starting battery so discharging it does not drag down the starting battery. You actually want a battery DISCONNECT switch.

That’s what I was thinking after I came home with this part and started thinking through how it would install.

Thanks for the help, SteveF and Anyonymous!