Inside circulation, but still getting outside odors

You do realize that cars are not “airtight”, right. If recirculate shut off all outside air you would die.
Damnit got sucked into an old thread again. (Face palms self)

Having light weight doors also contributed to this.

I was told the same thing, I never had any problems with my Ford F150, but Chevy vehicles are really bad about smells coming in.

I guess you are replying to Auto Annie who posted one time in 2013 so I doubt if she will see your post.

I don’t remember what the solution was but this has been a complaint before that seems legitimate on another brand.

Your Chevy, when set to “recirculate” mode, is designed to recirculate 80% of the inside air and admit 20% outside air to prevent the inside air from becoming “vitiated” or stale. This info may actually be contained in the operator’s manual.

1 Like

I would certainly report this to NHSTA. Accompanying the exhaust smells, there is sure to be carbon monoxide. Using recirculate appears to make things worse, so don’t use it. Every possible source of an exhaust leak needs to be ruled out. I recently had to replace two rubber gaskets around my Miata gear shift which were seals against water and exhaust.

WHAT would you report to NHTSA? That the car is functioning as designed?

It surely wouldn’t be the first time that somebody did that!
:wink:

I guess I did not realize that having your car suck in exhaust fumes like no other car…that this sucking is a design feature. The OP is always able to know their car is running, because they can smell it. No need to look at the tach. Particularly good for blind drivers. Those engineers think of everything!

How can you be sure where the fumes come from? They come in from outside, but it isn’t clear they come from the OP’s engine. That is possible, but the fumes may come from other vehicles on the road.

Of course, that still doesn’t answer the question of why this car does it worse than others, which the OP and others report.

I’m not suggesting there is anything wrong at all with the car but I’d check a couple areas. One is to make sure that there are no leaks from the engine compartment that is being drawn into the car as on the police vehicles, and the other is to make sure the trunk/liftgate has a good seal. If you have ever driven with the trunk open while hauling something, you will create a vacuum that draws in fumes and you need to open a window a little to combat it. While moving anyway, not standing still.

I think that you should try the app Carvertical to see if eveything is ok with the car