Inherited car

Recently my wife’s great uncle passed away and her father inherited a 1987 Cadillac Baywood. I have never seen anything like it and I have tried to research it but the only thing I can find on it was a short blurb about how Cadillac only made 50 a year for a few years. Does anyone have any information on this car?

Hey dude. You’re really lucky. You;ve found a very very rare piece of automobile. I found the blurb you were talking about. I went into my myriad of car books,none of them listed this car. I checked about a dozen with titles like “the complete guide to” what and what. Anyways I found a cadillac baywood for sale in france. I know you may not read french but this is the best I could do. Is this your car? Man, what a bizarre looking thing.

I’ve been around cars all of my life and can’t say as I’ve ever heard of a Baywood model. Making a real wild guess here, and considering such a low production number, my best theory is that these could have been certain Cadillac models that were farmed out for some appearance custom work and were offered on a very limited basis.

This kind of thing has been done over the years with other makes of cars (Shelby and Roush Mustangs, Lingenfelter, Yenko, Baldwin Motion Chevrolets, Shelby Dodges, etc.) but sending Cadillacs out is a new one on me.

Don’t put any credence into my comments. As I stated, it’s simply a wild guess, theory, or what have you.

k, I’m dumb, I forgot to add the link. Nvm, here ya go, what a strange strange strange car…http://actualites.sport-prestige.com/1115/a-vendre-cadillac-baywood-1986-avec-piscine/

Check out Hemmings Motor News. They have everything old or collectable.

Trust me–This bizarre conversion did not come from a GM manufacturing plant with that body style.

This is an extreme example of an after-market conversion for the novelty car market, and you can rule out that statement that “only 50 per year were made by GM” since GM had nothing to do with the body conversion. I would even doubt that 50 in total were ever cobbled up in this fashion by after-market shops.

Much more likely would be a very small sales volume, given the…unusual…nature of the conversion. You do have a genuine oddity, but classic car collectors would usually consider this type of after-market conversion to be sacrilege, rather than a great example of automotive art.

If you advertise it on e-bay, you just might find that one-in-a-million buyer who is interested in this car, but be prepared to wait a long time for that buyer to appear, since this car has very limited appeal.

I agree that it must be an after-market conversion by some small company, not GM. It will probably be of interest to someone, you just have to find the right buyer.

Contact Cadillac and ask them if they built it or who the customizer was. They are in the best position to know.

http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/footer/contact_us.jsp

Here’s a couple clubs that may have answers:

http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/
http://www.cadillaccountryclub.com/1980s-cadillacs.html

There are companies that make hearses, flower cars and limo’s and that is where THIS came from, not the Cadillac Motor Division. Unfortunately, '87 Caddy’s have less than ideal underpinnings…The engines and transmissions are FRAGILE to say the least…

I’m just wondering why anyone would need a car with a built in hot tub…

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-CUSTOM-ORANGE-BAYWOOD-CADILLAC-CONV-WITH-HOT-TUB_W0QQitemZ170231614601QQihZ007QQcategoryZ6152QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Isn’t the answer obvious? Because it is illegal to have an open alcohol container in the car! Who drinks champagne without a hot tub to sit in?

This is the type of vehicle that Nevada brothel owners tended to buy, in order to parade their women around so that the tourists could see what “flesh” was available at the brothel. Seeing the women in a mobile hot tub was probably a very good stimulus for their sordid businesses.

If the OP is planning on using the “piscine” in the back, I would suggest a very thorough sanitizing prior to getting into it.

And, as Caddyman implied, Cadillacs of this era are not exactly state-of-the-art in terms of their drivetrains or their electronics. This is a car solely for a pimp, a “pimp wannabe”, or a collector of unusual automotive conversions.

This is the type of vehicle that Nevada brothel owners tended to buy, in order to parade their women around so that the tourists could see what “flesh” was available at the brothel.

Commonly called in the area I grew up as “A Pimp Mobile”.

The inhereted '87 Baywood in question looks nothing like that chop shop monstrosity with the hot tub. It definitely has more bells and whistles than other Cadillacs of that era (custom grille, car-phone, continental-style wheel on the trunk), but it looks like a factory car. The accompanying GM manual…which says Cadiallac Baywood right on it…lists descriptions for all features on the car, so unless some second-hand company also published a faux manual, I believe this is a limited-run production car.

The cover of the manual notwithstanding, I do not believe that this vehicle was produced by GM in that body style.

Some of the more reputable after-market body conversion shops have their designs “approved” by the car manufacturer, and thus, the very limited production specials that they make have some measure of legitimacy. Most likely, GM did give approval to the design in terms of structural integrity, suspension modifications, etc. and as a result, the after-market conversion shop was able to have special covers made up for the Owner’s Manual. And, of course, the manual would have to be modified with some additional pages to explain the function and the maintenance of the unique features of this pimpmobile.

It is possible, though not probable, that this is a concept car from Cadillac. I encourage you to contact them to see if they had anything to do with it. GM usually does not sell concept cars. If is is one, it could be worth a lot of money. It’s a long shot, but worth investigating.

The ID plate on the door jab might provide some interesting information as to who actually built it.

A Cadillac ElCamino huh? :stuck_out_tongue:
Actually, a few years ago I seen one at a local car show. It was dark blue with what looked like a stainless steel bed with the Cadillac symbol blazened on the side behind the side windows.

Is it possible that you could take some pictures of the car, and post em somewhere. I gotta admit I’m pretty curious about it, and would like to see what it actually looks like.

See the link above about the hot tub.