In late 1950's did grandfather have a kind of "prism" on the dash? To see traffic signals?

They’ll get my water when they pry my cold dead hands off the pail . . .

I never understood that whole water ownership thing but guess it gets a little serious when water is in short supply. We really don’t have a problem in Minnesota except in the far southwest corner. I just consider any water that falls on my land is mine. Snow too. Its all mine, but if you want some come and get it.

I’ve Got Extra Water.
… but I’ve got winters that are too long and too cold and have too much snow and too much
$%#& Salt on roads!

It seems that if you pick a place in the country to live you’ll find good things and bad things. Some places have too much water, some not enough, some places have wild fires, others tornadoes, hurricanes, gators, sink holes, bugs, snakes, tree-huggers, high cost of living, no jobs…

I believe one has to weigh the benefits of life in a given area with the problems that exist there and accept it and deal with it.
CSA

yeah, I d collect my rainwater for my garden anyway.

some things are worth standing up for.

I believe one has to weigh the benefits of life in a given area with the problems that exist there and accept it and deal with it. CSA

The problem is, busybodies who want to control your life seem to be equally distributed everywhere.

What coincidence:

Yes, routes 5, 20 and 17 were mostly all 3 lane ant the only way to cross NY State before we had the Thruway and later the interstates. They were not left turn lanes but full speed passing lanes up and down hills and around curves with no restrictions except the caution of either driver. The head on crashes were horrific.
I am amused by the old drivers (like me) who are afraid of driving on the interstates because they think they are too dangerous. The interstates have much lower accident rates per mile than the back roads.
I was also amused by the people who came to pick up their kids from school when the weather got bad rather than let them go home on the safest vehicle on the road, the school bus.

I did not remember the passing lanes going around blind curves.
Why not alternating passing for one direction and then the other so those horrible head-on collisions would be prevented?

@Robert Gift We MUST allow rain to get downstream to farmers and water districts who own Water Rights. If everyone, or too many, collected roof rainwater, downstreamers would suffer shortages.

When you consider that an inch of rain equals 27,000 gallons of water on each acre of land, I seriously doubt that the rivers and streams would notice the loss of 55 gallons of water in each homeowner’s rain barrel.

yeah, when you can t use the water that falls on your head…

these are the things that cause revolutions…

…and don t get me started on factory farming and the far better Franklin model of a sustainable farming culture…

sorry Carolyn…

mr gift done got my dander up… :slight_smile:

"If everyone, or too many, collected roof rainwater, downstreamers would suffer shortages."
Think about that. Unless these people collecting the water are evaporating it, purposely, it’s mostly going to wind up downstream anyhow with perhaps just a minor delay or detour.
CSA

^ That was my complaint to the water board. We are just delaying and evening out its flow.

What? There’s a Water Board? I thought water boarding was frowned upon now for some goofy reason.
CSA

Yeah, yeah, yeah. It’s Colorado. A lot of people from California moved there. Prob ably because there is no aquifer to drill a well into so they all rely on rivers for their water. I suppose dead cattle and pineapples would tend to tick you off if the water went for flower beds up north. No easy answer again but to me the run off from a roof would be in about the same class as runoff off your cap and in a pail.

Robert gift- Alternate passing is what they do now on those roads, It is not what they did n the 50s and earlier.

I never understood that whole water ownership thing but guess it gets a little serious when water is in short supply.

As they say out West: "Whiskey's for drinkin', and water's for fighting about."

Yep, look how dry the might Rio Grande is by the time it gets to Mexico !