Impaired Driving

There was a beer, “Red something” sold in the south if I remember right. It was a cheap bad beer kinda like Hamms in the north, not to offend members of the Hamms Historical club (but it was bad beer).

2 Likes

I think you are right as I am in the south and it was Red Dog I don’t think I have ever heard of Hamms.

They did great commercials with the Hamm’s Bear and scenes from “up nort”. “From the land of sky blue waters, waters, come the beer refreshing, Hamm’s Beer, Hamm’s”. Terrible beer, great commercials. Must be on youtube.

2 Likes

Are you thinking of Red Stripe? It’s available in the US, or at least used to be. Red Stripe is brewed in Jamaica, and it’s main claim to fame is that it costs a lot less than any other beer in Jamaica. We went to Jamaica on our honeymoon, and I drank Red Stripe because a can of PBR was $4 in 1983. Red Stripe was half that.

Thank you will have to check it out.

I just posted one up there as an edit.

Thank you I posted be for I saw the edit.

Greetings, everyone and welcome to Beer Talk. I’m your host, BoboTheClown coming to you live from the shores of Lake Okeechobee near Belle Glade, Florida.

Oh, what memories you bring back. I was a Computer Programmer/Systems Analysis/Network Manager for much of my 30+year Air Force career. I got into computer programming when I bought a Commodore 64 computer back in 1981. I had a friend who owned a computer store and had one of the early, models that Commodore sent out as demos. They were not suppose to sell this model, they came with an add on circuit board with a “reset” switch on the back that put the computer into Assembler Mode. But Commodore, the company, also proved to be a bully, to become a dealer you had to sell so many monitors, so many printers, and so many games, for every 10 machines. Frankly, their monitors were expensive and the computer plugged right into a regular TV, their printers did not have any real descenders, so lower case “y” and “j” looked really weird because they just raised these letter up a few dots on the dot matrix printers and their games were not that good… So my friend told them to hang it and kept selling his Atari computers with much success. He sold me his demo model and I found out about the special feature a couple of months later.

I started programming games written in machine language and sold them to “Compute!” Magazine and made several thousand dollars back in the early '80 and that was really good money. They did a small feature article on me as one of their programmers. The article mentioned that I was in the Air Force at Offutt AFB and one of the supervisors from the computer unit on base contacted me and suggested that I retrain into computer programming as the career field was undermanned. I did, and the rest is history…

Over the years, these are some of the languages I programmed in Assembly Language, Straight Machine Code, Cobol, Fortran, CPL, Pascal, C, C+, SQL, ADA, and numerous variations of these languages specific to various manufacturers…

But I really digressed off topic for my reason for writing. I started writing because you wrote…

I loved working with Boolean expressions and I and my teams would often try to come up with the most twisted logic imaginable, something so recursive that the computer goes into a “do while electricity…” loop.

We even would come up with the most ridiculous “not, not” jokes…

Up until about 20 years ago, most brands of beer in The US were regional, and they were different–for the most part. When I would go to Rhode Island, I used to drink Narragansett, which wasn’t available in the NY/NJ metro region, even if only 200 miles or so separated the two areas.

In Cincinnatti, I drank Hudepohl beer, and I thought it was pretty decent.

Rolling Rock was a fairly decent beer in the NJ/PA area, years ago.

Nowadays, most of the smaller breweries have been bought-up by multi-national brewing companies, and even if the distribution of some beer brands is still geographically-limited, those “regional” beers are likely to be made to the same formula that the multi-national brewing company sells nationwide or even world-wide under various brand names.

I freely admit to driving, or bike riding, under the influence a couple or 99 times. Not meant as a defense to my stupidity, but I’m pretty careful and 3 or 4 times the cops had me dead to rights they let me off. They all said I appear to be on the straight and narrow. My response was always “Flashing police lights always drop my BAC to 0”.

Now tequila; that’s a whole new ball game and it becomes a Jekyll and Hyde situation. Ten feet tall and bulletproof.
Thankfully that has never happened very often.

I never was a big beer drinker but for the fact of what I did for a living I have seen a lot of different brands of beer over the years through their advertisment’s most I have for got about by now but I do remember Rolling Rock because of the first time I heard about it was in southern Pa and north Maryland I saw the name on a billboard along a highway that ran along side a small river with a lot of rocks and small rapids I always thought that the name fitted.

I’m with you. Just give me a teeth busting cold Bud Light.

Grolsh (I think was the name of it) tastes like it has crushed aspirin in it. Stella Artois tastes like malt liquor, as does Rolling Rock. Craft beers, I’ve never tried them.

I don’t like heavy beer. Then again, if I drink one beer, I’ll probably drink 3 or 4. 3 or 4 Guinness’s or New Castle’s would probably make me want to skip supper and go on a diet.

1 Like

I’ve never had a martini, but isn’t a martini made w/gin? Isn’t gin more or less distilled beer?

I’ve sampled many foreign made beers. All of them were pretty good imo. Japan, Canada, New Zealand, Belgium, France, Thailand, China, Germany all produce good tasting beer. But my favorites as far as for overall balanced flavor are Miller High Life, Coors, and Budweiser. I don’t like overly bitter beers, and I especially don’t like a watered-down tasting beer. I don’t understand the purpose of “Lite” beer. If I want less alcohol I just drink fewer of the regular beers. My native German friend agrees with me on this point. He definitely prefers the widely sold American beers to German beers.

It’s made with either gin or vodka. Gin is made from a variety of berry. The other ingredient in a martini is dry vermouth ( I have no idea what THAT is made of).

I.m half Irish and had an alocholic father.and stepfather. Both had to spend Saturdays thring to figure out where they had left the car on payday (Friday) I was 6’ 3" tall and that is when I started drinking. I realized where it was going and I quit when it became legal for me (18) back then.

I don’t think everyone should not drink, but I know I shouldn’t.

6 Likes

I always had to work to hard for my money to want to throw it away when I was young I saw too many people after the weekend ask what did I do or did I have a good time or where did I go or need to borrow money to last till the next payday. I always wanted to know those answers about myself. I think that is the biggest thing that kept me from drinking plus the fact that the got so tough after the CDL license came out in the area where I grew up it was very easy to get something to drink legal or from the many moonshiners around. I don’t know about NY but if you was pulled over for drinking you would follow the cop to a safe place and told you to sleep it off for a while be for you drove again.

Yeah I’ve been there. Big lake. Snakes and alligators and a few armadillos that might be carrying leprosy.

In DC there is a place called I think the Brew Haus or something like that. Been a few years. At any rate they have a good stock of beers from around the world if you want to sample them. I had a Coke.

1 Like

I don’t like or put up with drunks but have no problem with those who drink responsibly.