Marijuana and driving

‘Effect of Cannabidiol and Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol on Driving Performance: A Randomized Clinical Trial’
asks,

'What is the magnitude and duration of driving impairment following vaporization of cannabis containing varying concentrations of Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD)?'

concludes,

'SDLP following vaporized THC-dominant and THC/CBD-equivalent cannabis compared with placebo was significantly greater at 40 to 100 minutes but not 240 to 300 minutes after vaporization; there were no significant differences between CBD-dominant cannabis and placebo. However, the effect size for CBD-dominant cannabis may not have excluded clinically important impairment, and the doses tested may not represent common usage.'
SDLP: standard deviation of lateral position , a measure of lane weaving, swerving, and overcorrecting 'Driving Under the Influence of CBD or THC - Is There a Difference? '

‘Cannabis and Impaired Driving’
reports,

‘in 2018, 29% of the 36,560 crash deaths in the US were attributed to [alcohol-]impaired driving. By comparison, driving under the influence of cannabis was estimated to account for 8700 road traffic deaths worldwide in 2013.’

and,

'cannabinoids are the most commonly detected other drugs (besides alcohol) in fatally injured drivers (up to 15% in urban areas), and the prevalence is increasing.'

You can’t just say “CBD will do (x) to your driving ability” because that’s like saying “everything made in a brewery will get you drunk,” while forgetting that root beer is often made in breweries.

A lot of CBD products don’t have any THC in them at all, and so won’t impair you any more than any other non-intoxicant.

I don’t disagree with your conclusion, but I question your logic. After all, a drug can be non-intoxicating and still adversely affect your ability to drive. I’m struggling to think if examples, but a stimulant might be as detrimental to driving as a depressant. Know what I mean?

I’m just not up on this whole pot/drug thing. I guess all I want to know is if pot smokers are a hazard on the road or not. Maybe someone can just put this in plain English.

Absolutely. And CBD doesn’t require a prescription, either if it has no THC.

It is illegal to drive while intoxicated. CBD isn’t an intoxicant. It includes legal intoxicants like alcohol, THC (depending on your state) and even prescription drugs. Alcohol is easy to field test, THC isn’t, yet.

IMHO, the answer is that, yes, being high on anything will impair your ability to pay attention, steer smoothly, and react quickly, although I consider alcohol a more powerful impairment than the devil’s lettuce.

If I had my druthers, I’d want every driver to be sober in every respect. In lieu of that, if I had to choose between 10 drunk drivers (on alcohol) and 10 stoned drivers (on weed), I’d choose the 10 stoned drivers.

Virginia has it covered see clause (iii)

§ 18.2-266. Driving motor vehicle, engine, etc., while intoxicated, etc.

It shall be unlawful for any person to drive or operate any motor vehicle, engine or train (i) while such person has a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08 percent or more by weight by volume or 0.08 grams or more per 210 liters of breath as indicated by a chemical test administered as provided in this article, (ii) while such person is under the influence of alcohol, (iii) while such person is under the influence of any narcotic drug or any other self-administered intoxicant or drug of whatsoever nature, or any combination of such drugs, to a degree which impairs his ability to drive or operate any motor vehicle, engine or train safely, (iv) while such person is under the combined influence of alcohol and any drug or drugs to a degree which impairs his ability to drive or operate any motor vehicle, engine or train safely, or (v) while such person has a blood concentration of any of the following substances at a level that is equal to or greater than: (a) 0.02 milligrams of cocaine per liter of blood, (b) 0.1 milligrams of methamphetamine per liter of blood, © 0.01 milligrams of phencyclidine per liter of blood, or (d) 0.1 milligrams of 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine per liter of blood. A charge alleging a violation of this section shall support a conviction under clauses (i), (ii), (iii), (iv), or (v).

For the purposes of this article, the term “motor vehicle” includes mopeds, while operated on the public highways of this Commonwealth.

If it was straight marijuana, then I’d probably choose the same if I had to pick one of the two. The problem we’ve run into around here, is that people are either smoking medical grade with much higher concentrations of THC (and most of the people I’ve seen coming into our ER after smoking that stuff are as bad as drunken people, if not worse) or they’re smoking marijuana that’s had K2 mixed into it.

Yes…no question they are a hazard. I have no problem with people drinking or smoking or any other drug they want to abuse their body with…just don’t overate any vehicle on any roads. Laws in this country are still too lax for DUI. IMHO - first offense should be heavy fine and mandatory drivers ed classes. Second offense - 1 year in prison and loss of license for life.

They’re both too lax and not lax enough. The laws that say standing next to your car with the keys in your pocket and a cold engine is sufficient to judge that you were drunk driving are asinine as well. If I’m drunk at home (not that I ever am) and go out to my car to get something but I don’t even turn it on, that should not mean that I am legally driving drunk, yet people have been tried, convicted, and lost appeals after doing exactly that.

Meanwhile the guy who actually drives drunk has 10 DUI convictions and somehow manages to find his way back behind the wheel. The laws are stupid at both ends.

4 Likes