Illeagal Mods

Aside from too loud, and driving on slicks (in certain states), what mods to your car are illeagal to do? and even if you do them, how can they tell (In newer cars, how can they tell if you have a chip or something). Is Boost not supposed to be carried in your car on the street?

Chips aren’t illegal in most states except in some cases under CARB and similar regimes (Alaska, parts of Missouri, not sure where else). Actually, most intake, exhaust, and engine management mods aren’t. Laws vary, though, check with your local DMV or search your state statutes. In some states you can drive pretty much anything that has headlights and turn signals.

What the hell is “boost”? Been playing too much Burnout?

Basically, the laws differ state to state. Some have allowable shade limits for window tinting, others have specific laws pertaining to basic safety items that must be kept in good shape. Degree of enforcement differs, too. Most of the time, it is used against people after an accident that involves a police report.

However, under Federal Law, I know that tampering with the emissions system is totally illegal. However, this is rarely enforced. But, with the mandated ODB-II system, it has become easier to regulate.

As far as performance modifications, these differ wildly from state to state. California is by far the strictest, by requiring only state approved add-ons to be sold and installed on cars. Others, like Tennessee, have very little to no restrictions, as long as the car maintains the proper basic features to be considered a ‘street car’.

Call your local DMV for more info.

anything is legal. if you cant find a way, you are seriously not trying.

example: Larry Larsons 7.97 second chevy II. http://www.hotrod.com/eventcoverage/hrdp_0902_2008_hot_rod_drag_week/index.html it is entirely legal.

anything that will make power has been put on the street. even alcohol cars.

and as far as I know, nitrous isnt illegal.

The answer to this varies greatly state to state. Some states with rigid and yearly car inspections make virtually any modification illegal. Other states it is pretty much anything goes.

You need to check with local area garages and auto parts stores to get a handle on your state.

yup, I have. I meant a nito, or NOS setup.

how about in MI? Or WA. I am going to look into it myself, but just wanted to see if there was anything I was missing.

Some mods you can see as the vehicle is driving past you (like Window tinting). Other mods you need a closer inspection (Exhaust system modifications i.e removing the catalytic converter).

The one mod I hate which is randomly enforced is the jerks that jack up their trucks well past safety limits. An accident in NH some 20 years ago where a guy driving a pickup that was lifted about 2’ too high ran OVER a Honda Accord…seriously injuring the woman driving the vehicle. The cops ignored this bozo because several of them also owned trucks with 2-3 foot lift-kits.

Most illegal mods should be caught during a safety and emission inspections.

These trucks drive me nuts too. And they usually have huge tires that pick up lots and lots of crap from the roads and no mud flaps. Driving behind them is terrible.

Another pet peeve of mine that’s illegal is covering the rear license plate with either a multi-ball hitch (trucks) or a heavily tinted license plate cover (usually a Caddy or Lincoln).

But my list of pet peeves would be long. So I’ll bow out now.

The one mod I think is universally illegal is the jigawatt stereo systems the wannabes have. And eve then, it’s a noise pollution thing.
Seriously, if I wanted to hear the music playing in your car, I’d hop in, not listen to it 3 miles away because mommy and daddy bought you a crap load of stereo equpment

As far as noise pollution, those fart-can mufflers drive me crazy. Especially when put on a bone-stock Honda Civic with no other mods. It’s just nerve-racking when in slow moving traffic, and all you hear is the BRAAAPPAPPPPAPAPAPPAP!! of those mufflers.

Some people just gotta be noticed-Kevin

I forgot about those, they aren’t as popular as they used to be around here. The stereo systems are still around though. I remember there was a Durango behind me at a stop light awhile back, bass thumping really loud. Since it was dark out, I could actually see the headlights flicker everytime the bass hit.

It’s only “illegal” if you get caught…If you are not subject to emissions testing, the sky’s the limit…

Nobody EVER went to prison for an emissions violation…

Raising the truck is not illegal if the bumpers are low enough. I suppose some rock hopper could have front and rear bars on the bumpers that could be lowered for the street.

“It’s only “illegal” if you get caught…”

No, something that is illegal is always illegal. Whether you are caught or not determines whether you face penalties for your behavior. I only mention this because someone may take your comment the wrong way - as a justification for their bad choices.

“Nobody EVER went to prison for an emissions violation…”

And they shouldn’t. But they will pay a stiff fine. I have better things to do with my limited funds than waste them on that silly stuff.

Depends on the state. Each state has different standards. Some states state that a vehicle can NOT be raised more then 6" over stock. Nothing is said about if you lower the bumpers. Other states…the bumper can not exceed a certain height off the pavement.

Make that a bone stock Civic with an automatic trans, which precludes any chance of true sportiness.

The one mod I think is universally illegal is the jigawatt stereo systems the wannabes have. And eve then, it’s a noise pollution thing.
Seriously, if I wanted to hear the music playing in your car, I’d hop in, not listen to it 3 miles away because mommy and daddy bought you a crap load of stereo equpment

About a year ago this little dweeb was driving past me…It was a cold fall day so the windows were up and heat on…I could hear this jerk about 1/2 mile away…At first I didn’t know what it was…then as he got closer I could tell…Then as he passed me (doing about 80)…there in the back seat were two little kids in car seats…this jerk was clearly NOT qualified to be a parent.