Ignition won't turn - Help!

My 1990 Saab 9000 turbo (152K miles)has new starter and solenoid, but still has this problem: After driving about 30-60 minutes and car is well heated up in stop-n-go traffic, I stop for an errand (10-30 minutes or so). When I try to start the car, I get nothing; no iginition churn, nothing. Like it thinks it is still in gear. I have full electrics (lights, radio etc) and the starter/solenoid clicks, just no “ignition churn” sound. Exactly as though I were trying to start it while it is in Drive. If I wait a couple hours, it starts right up. Sometimes, although rarely, if I take it out of Park and move to Drive and go back to Park, it will start, but RARELY. Mostly I have to wait it out until it is stone cold again. What the heck is this?!?! The car is totally great other than this. Ideas?

Thanks - Sandra

The battery may not have the power to operate the starter; or, it could be poor battery-to-starter cable connection. Go to many auto parts stores for an in-car check of the battery and alternator, for free. If the starter is drawing too much amperage, a mechanic with a dc amp meter can determine that.

I have a 2001 9-3 with same problem (although different model than yours)- you turn the key to start, all of your interior/exterior lights work fine but nothing happens under the hood! 5, 10, 30 minutes pass and then it will start. It has been driving me nuts too (see my post under Saab no start). I think I have finally figured out the problem- check the neutral safety switch (same part perhaps as the gear sensor and thanks to Expert cartalk bloggers ok4450 for turning me on to this). This component bolts onto the top of your transmission and lets the car know if it is in park, neutral, etc. If it doesn’t think you are in either P or N, then guess what, no elctricity gets to the starter. Try cycling your gear selector a bunch of times to see if you can then get it to start in either P or N. In trying to diagnose my problem, I have changed the starter relay, and the electrical portion of the ignition- no luck. Do a google search for Saab Neutral Safety Switch- parts sell online for about $350, but check this site for best price at $317 http://www.thesaabsite.com/93/93transmission.htm It should take your mechanic slightly more than 1 hour to do the labor. Good luck- hope it helps

The problem very well may be the neutral safety switch. By applying some pressure on the shifter either forward or backward while trying to start the car may help make the connection. The switch may just need adjustment.