Ignition switch

Most of the time I am not able to turn the ignition switch to the off position. I finally discovered that if I turned it further to the start position ever so slightly, it would release and I could turn it all the way off. Someone suggested bad key, tried my husbands copy and it did the same thing. Do I need to replace the entire mechanism?

It may just be a faulty key cylinder. I don’t know make, model, and year, but most makes and models have cylinders that can be removed and checked before the rest of the mechanism would need to be suspected.

I’d just also mention that, depending on what kind of car you have, it is much better to get this problem checked out before it gets any worse because usually if you can move the key through all the positions, it’s very easy to change the lock cylinder but if it finally gets stuck it becomes extremely difficult.

I would drive it down to my local locksmith and have them take a look. They are likely to be cheaper and as good or better than a dealer or mechanic.

It may be worn, broken or just gummed up due to using some sort of lubricant in it. The can become worn due to a key with a heavy key ring with lots of keys or doodads on it.

My apologies for not mentioning make of car. It’s a 1991 Olds Ciera Cutlas Cruiser wagon. My husband tried graphite powder in the switch. Didn’t seem to do any good. In my rush to Dr. appointment I couldn’t turn key back far enough to be able to remove it but it was not far enough on to keep power supply going. To make a long story short, I hadn’t put the car in park. (DUH)All the jiggling must have gotten something lined up properly. Had to make two more stops and all was fine. When I got home, the problem was back. I am definitely going to a locksmith tomorrow. Many thanks to the three of you who replied. Don’t mean to offend anyone, but sure feels good to be fully armed when I approach the “enemy”.