If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?

Well David Koresh was the blue collar member of the clergy

Just saying lots of people are prosperous because they work hard and save and invest. And of course the reverse. You have to look at who he was addressing and what the context was. He talked a lot about foolish people sowing their seeds on rock or the fig tree bearing bad fruit, or not throwing pearls to swine, etc. ā€œGo and multiply and be prosperousā€. ā€œAsk and you shall be givenā€. Just being prosperous does not mean one is greedy. In fact the foolish person may ā€œcovet his neighborā€™s houseā€, car, wife, lawn mower, not knowing what it took to get it. So who is really the greedy one? Just not so simple to think that greed yields success.

Oh and donā€™t forget the story about the servants that were each given one talent and they all just hid it so they wouldnā€™t lose it (like putting it in the bank or under the mattress) but the one invested it and multiplied it ten fold. Yep.

It just seemed this site that sniping seemed to be on the rise.

Letā€™s not get into the virtues of the hardworking. Itā€™s dangerously politics-adjacent ā€˜round these partsā€¦and pretty soon none of us will be smiling like the pastor.

2 Likes

Most convoluted response from @cdaquila I have ever seen, just trying to say if we are all playing in the same sandboxā€¦

Itā€™s not really convoluted in light of the exchange about who prospers for working hard. Iā€™m actually with you on this, in the same sandbox.

3 Likes

Maybe he drives an AMC Sprit? Not that that would help, I imagine the thought of the cleanup cost was a consideration.

ā€¦and thatā€™s what I meant when I said we all know your position. I had no idea, though, that you believe in the prosperity gospel, and Iā€™m appalled at how often your conflate poverty with laziness to make your argument seem moral.

Hint: If you have to change the subject, youā€™ve lost the argument.

Coveting and materialism are also things JC railed against, especially that time he beat up the money changers.

1 Like

OK I guess Iā€™m just not seeing the importance of what kind of car he drives. Iā€™ll have to tell you though when this first came up during the storms, I had to google him to see who he was. So Iā€™m not really fixated on these folks.

Iā€™m sure Warren Buffet has more money and he drives a several year old Buick. Some people like flashy cars and others are just conservative. When I was a kid our pastor always had a new Chrysler. Not a Plymouth or Imperial, but in between. So did our high school principal. At the restaurant where I worked, the boss drove a Ford station wagon, but his wife always had a new Imperial. I fail to see any connection at all, and think it is just an attempt to dis someone they donā€™t like.

Back in my days of working at a gas station, I didnā€™t frequently receive tips, but when I did, they almost always came from people who were driving Ford Country Squire station wagons. Those folks were consistently decent people, and some of them gave tips, to boot.

Well let me push the political innuendo out in the open with the question of where will toll roads be in the proposed private/public partnership in building needed infrastructure?

Was ā€œcountry squireā€ a trim level, or was it the car itself?

In 2014, Buffett bought a Cadillac XTS to replace his 2006 Cadillac DTS. Before that, he drove a 2001 Lincoln Continental.

I believe your point is that Buffett doesnā€™t spend a great deal on his cars, and that list above goes along with what I think you are saying.

A long time self made multi-millionaire here in this small town had a well worn Chevrolet pickup and whatever car had been his wifeā€™s when she last updated was his. For several years I passed his home on the way to work and at that time his wifeā€™s early 80s Lincoln Town Car was his daily driver and if he needed to carry some feed or hay out to his horses the back of that Lincoln was plenty big enough to do the job.

IIRC, the ones with the fake wood side trim were referred to as ā€œCountry Squiresā€, but I could be mistaken and it is possible that all of their wagons had that model name.

Nope, youā€™re right - although the '50 and '51 models had real wood instead of the fake stuff. The Mercury side also had the same car (slightly different sheet metal) including the fake wood trim, which was called the Colony Park.

The non-wood-trim version was the Crown Victoria wagon.

In the early 1960ā€™s through the mid-1970ā€™s the Ford Country Squire was based on the LTD and had fake wood trim. It was more nicely appointed. The Country Sedan was based on the Galaxie 500 and had no wood trim but still was nicely appointed. The Ranch Wagon was based on the Custom and was very basic. It had a spartan interior and hardly any chrome trim. The Galaxie 500 line was dropped around 1975.

1 Like

I have yet to see any of these Evangelists ā€œChristiansā€ whoā€™s god is NOT MONEY. Thatā€™s all they care about.

4 Likes

I happened across an Osteen show on TV a few years ago by chance. I found him very positive, engaging, and uplifting, unlike many of the comments here. (Ironic, considering the topic of this thread.) And remember, Iā€™m an atheist.

;-]

I think thereā€™s some Edsel affiliation if you go far enough back, too.