If you can wait a year or so before ordering your EV

OK , I give up . Just what brands have that ?

I know for sure RR does, look up “Rolls Royce treadplate.” Also don’t most limited editions have that? Like the last call Chargers and Challengers.

If somebody’s spending big money on a limited edition, any change to it would hurt the value.

There’s some changes that are illegal to make, even though you own the car. Changes to emission system for example. There was a discussion here some time ago about whether it is legal to change the brand label on a car, like changing a Corolla from Toyota’s logo to BMW. Consensus seemed to be that change is legally allowed. Suggest to research such a change yourself in the state code however, before doing it.

Well I’m definitely not talking about those changes, I’m aware.

And that’s what is annoying me. No one knows who that person was who bought the car originally, no one cares for them, maybe they aren’t even alive anymore, but hey, making the car mine and not theirs is some sort of irredeemable sin. What gives? No one can have anything truly custom, I can’t buy a basic trim version, turn in into a higher trim/sport version with replacing the drivetrain and rebadging, because it’s “not real,” etc. So now we’re stuck with boring, useless, easy-mode EVs and can’t have anything cool or our own because of some unwritten rules.
Worse than HOAs.

At least for the Phantom and Ghost variants you can buy new treadplates from Rolls Royce with what you want engraved on it, But you’d need to inquire about pricing. Most buyers are concerned with how well maintained the car is and if the color scheme is what they would have picked. The Spectre has been spotted out in public in colors more what buyers would select than the car at the reveal.

1 Like

You can get custom sill plates for Porsche’s, as long as the factory allows what you want, This is on a 718 Boxster Spyder as a play on the cars being referred to as Hairdresser’s cars.

1 Like

I saw them in Chryslers many years ago, seems reasonable to find owner name plates in specialty cars.

1 Like

Do you really think anyone buy a RR is really concerned about loosing any “value” by changing a made to be changed part. That’s like saying it’s worth less because it doesn’t have the original tires. If that original tread plate is worth so damn much to the value of the car, just keep the originals and reinstall them when it’s sold again.

2 Likes

Honestly? I agree, and that’s my whole point.