Idle Air Sensor Problems

I have a 1996 Dodge Dakota 4x4 with a 3.9L V-6, 5-speed and 44,500 miles. I acquired the truck from an elderly relative and last March, had probably the first major tuneup ever done on it. Within a month, it was stalling upon putting in the clutch and coming to a stop. The problem was diagnosed as a bad idle air sensor and the sensor was replaced. Since then, I have had the sensor replaced three more times. The last time, my mechanic told me that the next solution would be to replace the intake manifold to the tune of $900. I do not relish spending that much money on this vehicle. Any suggestions?

I would have to wonder if the problem is really with the wiring to the IAC sensor and not the sensor itself.

First of all, it’s not a sensor, it’s a motor or actuator. That sounds trivial, but it could lead to confusing someone.

My questions, right off the bat, would be, Why was it replaced three times? Did replacing the part ever solve the problem? Why does the mechanic want to change the intake manifold?

I think there’s something else going on here, and I’d see about finding a different mechanic.

I had a similar problem with a 88 plymouth 3.0L 188K miles, The idle motor has one connnector and was relativly easy to remove, mine had torx head screws. I cleaned it and have had rarely and problems in last 4 months. I used the code and replaces map sensor ($50) , checked lines for good vaccum with some improvement prior to clening idle motor. The cleaning of idle motor was the key for me!! Good luck!!

Ditto that, Mr josh. And possibly cleaning the throttle and IAC ports will correct the problem.