96 Dakota SLT idles rough & stalls

Update: I still don’t have this thing figured out. I have a code scanner which indicated that I should change the MAP sensor. I did that, and just for fun changed the idle air control valve and throttle position sensor. Now the idle is extremely smooth in park or neutral, but once I’m in a moving gear it’s up to the same shenanigans, antics and tomfoolery I described in my original post:

96 Dakota SLT idles rough & stalls.

So I have a 96 Dodge Dakota SLT 3.9 4WD. Anyway, it idles relatively smoothly at about 700 RPM in drive or neutral, but if I’m in a moving gear and need to stop, the idle is extremely rough. Usually, the RPM’s will drop to near 0 within about 20 seconds of coming to a stop. It will typically recover and continue with rough idling and near stalling a few times, but within a minute or two it stalls. A few additional details: it starts right up again after falling, it doesn’t make any difference if I start it cold and drive immediately or drive it for an hour before coming to a stop, the same thing happens. Anything that looked suspicious to me has been changed (drivebelt, spark plugs & wires, distributor cap & rotor, pcv valve, idle air control valve, and, of course, the air freshener). Any ideas?

A code scanner can’t tell you to change the MAP sensor or any other part. What was the actual error code?

Its also always better to return to original thread. This way everyone has to go through all the same stuff again.

And if it now idles smoothly then it can’t be same thing as in your original post - b/c that was about an idle problem. As such “shenanigans, antics and tomfoolery” isn’t a description that gets anyone very far. On top of that your original post said it idles around 700rpm in drive or neutral but not in a “moving gear.” What’s the difference between drive and a moving gear.

Anyway, the short story is that its really hard to say what you are describing. If you are still stalling at a stop check the wiring/power supply for the IAC. Also, what happens if you just sit at idle (any gear position) and stomp on the brake?