"I'd Like to Buy Your Car" notes?

Do you folks get these notes taped/pasted to your cars now and then like I do? From somebody you don’t know who claims to want to buy your car, and if interested you are supposed to call their telephone number printed on the note? I’m seeing these quite a bit more often, and are pre-printed, not hand-written. . And the telephone number isn’t local.

Do you think this activity is really somebody who wants to buy my car? Or do they have a hidden agenda?

No, but I get 2 or 3 a week in the mailbox or hanging on the doorknob from people wanting to buy my house.

5 Likes

I’m guessing more scam than legit if it’s not a local number.

3 Likes

No but they want to buy my house. I had a guy flag me down on 494 once wanting to buy my car. He said he had cash. Like I would take his check?

1 Like

People keep their original cellular phone number for many years after relocating.

They want to buy your Corolla?

A little Googling turned up this forum, which addressed the same question. These folks are guessing

• It is someone intending to sell the car for parts or scrap.
  • Someone intending to sell it on the used car market.
  • Someone intending to sell paper products made w/same paper as the note.

How about this idea?

These folks are hired or contracted by local governments to monitor for any cars parked up for long periods of time, which might be violating local codes and ordinances about property appearance.

In the example you gave the question was asked 16 1/2 years ago when the car was practical for use or resale.

People look for cars that are not being used to find bargains. The parents stopped using the car and might sell it cheap, the buyer could resell the car for $3500.

That is even Goofy for you .

2 Likes

That is the duty of the city’s code enforcement division, and the city doesn’t buy old cars. Code enforcement will order the owner to move the vehicle or be fined.

I understand what you are saying @Nevada_545 , but I can imagine a local gov’t might be willing to pay a fee to these note-poster-folks for the locations of cars suspected of not being used. The note-poster posts the note, then come back a week later to see if the note has been removed or not. If not removed, they presume the car is not being used.

Not a chance that is going to happen because those people are not City employees . If parked too long in an unauthorized place it has to be tagged and might be towed . The city will not offer to buy but impounded and sold at auction after a certain amount of time.

George, haven’t you seen bright orange stickers on cars left by the side of the road? That’s how somebody is notified that their derelict car is going to be towed.

1 Like

That is what is happening, code enforcement is monitoring your truck though used car hustlers with post-it notes.

Draw the blinds and get out the binoculars.

Yes, I see courtesty police stickers all the time saying the cars are violating parking rules & must be moved immediately or will be towed. . But those are street-parked cars. The cars I’m referring to are parked on private property.

1 Like

OK , the next time you get one of these notes call the number and then you will know just what it is about and you will not to make these outlandish theories’.

1 Like

Code enforcement can inspect for current registration and if the vehicle appears to be operational. If the vehicle meets local requirements, there is no need to send individuals to trespass on private property.

Are most folks here concurring w/@Nevada_545 , that these note-posters are simply trying to find inexpensive cars to re-sell or part them out?

I noticed one of the owners (car parked on private property) put a sign on the car saying to not post any more notes, the car isn’t for sale.

Is it a car that young people would be interested in?

Parting out? No, for common old cars this would take a lot of space and offer little profit.

Someone like bcohen2010 might consider buying a vehicle similar to his Plymouth to source an engine but that is not “parting out” a vehicle as a business opportunity.

Yes, the car w/the “post no notes” sign on it is a car younger people, students etc, might be interested in.