Icing wiper blades in slushy snow storm

2007 Chevy Impala 1LT

3.6L V-6 FF engine

auto trans

7,500 miles

Problem: windshield wipers rapidly accumulating wads of ice during use in a slushy snow/sleet storm.

Despite leaving the wiper arms up off the windshield when the car is parked outside,taking the time to clean any ice build-up off the wiper blades when parking the car, cleaning the windshield off very well before driving, running the defroster full blast while driving, and even trying a blast of washer fluid (unheated) to help clear ice from the wiper blades while driving, I had an excessive amount of slushy ice rapidly build up on the blades while driving in a moderate storm.

It made it quite hard to see out the windshield as it smeared ice all over the windshield as the balls of ice built up on the blades, keeping them from cleaning wiping the glass.

Suggestions for how to avoid this? Anything I can wipe the rubber of the wiper blades with to keep ice from building up that way?

Thank you.

Marnet

They sell what are called “Winter Blades”. These blades have a rubber covering that prevent slush/ice from forming on the bridge of the wiper blade.

Tester

The ONLY thing I can suggest is to try Winter blades???

Presume I can find these winter blades at Auto Zone?

Should I replace only the blades themselves for this or the entire tensioning system (or whatever the correct term is)?

Thank you for the suggestion.

Marnet

You replace the blade assembly. Most parts stores sell these. Some will even install them for you for free!

Tester

Thank you. I’ll look into this. I consider it a safety issue!

Marnet

I buy my rubber booted blades at WalMart. $5.88 each. And yes, they do work well.

Thanks Mountainbike. Wally World or Auto Zone is on tomorrow’s list of errands then.
Marnet

I suggest trying a pair of the new technology blades. The Bosh Icons are the ones I have used and found that not only did they do well with the cold and snow and ice, but they also did well during the summer and had a long life. They do cost more. Right now I am trying a set of Michelin blades of the same design. So far they are doing well, but time will tell if they will last as long. They look very much alike. Rain-X also is selling what looks to be the same thing, but I have not had any experience with them

I’ll take a look at them. What is the “new” technology to them, if I may ask, please?

Blades that hold up well against summer heat as well as winter ice would be nice. It gets fairly hot here in summer.

Marnet

Winter blades. Wiper blades are sold by length and they are universal fit, so you won’t see a specific part number that is specific to your car. Winter blades will still ice up under the worst conditions at speeds over 35 MPH. You won’t be getting heated blades at a truck stop because of the ugly wiring involved. If we could avoid driving in bad weather, it would be nice. Mine ice up on a GMC pickup with winter blades, but because of the 4WD, I can stop anywhere and get the ice off. I think a big bug deflector would slow the airflow enough to stop the icing, but you would lose about two MPG. Your windshield too because rocks that would hit at an angle and then go over the car will be hurled into the air and slam into the glass. I’m getting off the tra a a a a ahhhhhhhhhh.

I agree with Joseph. I installed Bosch Icon wiper blades on both of my cars and they have performed flawlessly in all weather conditions.

The Icon blades are expensive, but, in my opinion, they are worth every penny. As you say, this is a safety issue.

Yes they are good for both summer and winter. The “new” in a mechanical difference. Rather than having a small strip of rubber held on a metal frame, it is a heavy strip of rubber (perhaps with an internal metal support). You will see the difference at once. The new design prevents snow and ice from clogging the metal frame and is much better than the old style winter blades that put a rubber boot over the metal parts, These are four season and work quite well.

In addition to the above suggestions of switching to winter blades . . . I’d coat the windshield with Rain-X . . . the wipers seem to work better (for me) whenever I do this. It only lasts a few storms . . . but it is easy to apply. Also . . . you can buy an aftermarket kit which essentially re-routes your washer fluid over an engione part (maybe the radiator, I’ll try to find it if you are interested) and heats the fluid up to warm . . . making it clean a bit better. Rocketman

Thanks Rocketman.

Not that the idea of warmed washer fluid isn’t attractive but I have zero experience with car mechanics or anything else mechanical. So the kit installation would need to be easy enough for a beginner to manage. Also, I have arthritis in my hands and therefore fairly little strength, so again the installation would need to be quite user friendly for me to attempt.

Marnet