ICE vs. EV – 5 year ownership cost

Yikes! That’s triple the national average!

1 Like

I gave the details for the insured in the original post; 25 year old male in KC Missouri.

Large cities are where EV’s make the most sense.

If you want to see shocking rates, insure (male driver age 21) that Tesla in Jacksonville FL, Compton CA, Downtown SF CA, or the South Side of Chicago IL…brace yourself.

1 Like

You would think, we would build the electric capacity and then build the electric cars…nope…all of the problems are answered with “we’ll figure it out as we go”.

Yes, I know, we didn’t build the roads and then build the ICE cars…The roads already existed though as they were used by horses! We just didn’t pave them first…

Across this country, millions of cars sitting in apartment complex parking lots…how are they going to be “charged at night”? We have an entire suburb of homes where on street parking is the only option, this exists across the USA, how do we charge these cars?

California committing to 100% EV by 2030; that’s 7 years from now…if they started today, it would take 10 to 15 years to build the infrastructure and it would have to include carbon based fuels…FAIL!

You really need a hobby besides worring what insurance rates are .

That doesn’t change the fact the tires were shot at 30k miles.

Now, ask yourself why Tesla is shaving 1/32s off the tread depth of new tire specs?

If I lived in a large city I’d probably never own a vehicle. I have cousins who own a law firm in NYC. Only a couple of them own a car. The two oldest don’t even have a driver license.

The quote was for a 25 year old married, employed, male with no claims.

Plenty of online tools for quotes folks…go check them out…note that zip code makes a huge difference in cost.

You could ask Tesla but it appears that shaving will decrease rolling resistance and improve handling . As for tires on new vehicle’s needing replaced soon is nothing new .

Gee my ears are burning. You just have to look at where the political money is coming from, where it is going, and what special interest group is involved. It’s no secret.

This is not the "cheap tires on new cars that wear fast’ situation. This is purposely cutting the useful life of the tire for performance reasons…does this make sense during our “climate emergency”? I thought the whole idea of EV’s is to cut carbon emissions?

It takes an incredible amount of energy to make a tire. Sending them out the door short on tread is horrifically wasteful and not very “green”. Also, and I will be creating a separate thread on this, EV’s simple wear tires out faster; again, not very “green”.

Before you “misinformation” warriors rush to counter that claim…please do 60 seconds of research…

How Long Will EV Tires Last?

Expect the tires on your EV to last anywhere from 30,000 to 40,000 miles. The added weight of the battery makes tires wear more quickly on an EV. So does the high torque generated every time you press on the accelerator.

Yes, that means you’ll spend more money on tires with an EV than with a gas-powered car…

Discount Tire

• Electric vehicles are heavy—their tires wear faster. Your new tires will need a long- lasting tread for you to see a maximized tire life.
  • Electric vehicles have more torque than regular cars, requiring more traction. Tires with stronger grip will reduce traction loss and keep your vehicle on the road, but with a catch: grippier tires require more energy to rotate, which increases rolling resistance (and therefore fuel efficiency/battery range) [and tire life].

yea…big oil and coal - By far the largest special interest group for the past several decades.

1 Like

The most comfortable car, seat wise, that I have ever driven was an 80’s era Dodge Omni. That seat was actually dangerous as it would put you to sleep! Seriously, it was big, well padded and fit me perfectly.

1 Like

If we removed all subsidies, we’d all be shocked at the true price of gas and electricity…

THIS is why we don’t talk politics. NOTHING TO DO WITH CARS! I don’t come here for far right lessons on how the world supposedly works.

2 Likes

An EV is a car.

Obviously. The post above mine has “EV” nowhere to be found.

1 Like

Unfortunately the folks in DC made it impossible to talk about forced EV adoption without getting into some politics and the funding of those folks in DC. But other threads have wandered a little too into the shopping and life style habits of some folks. Just the way it is.

Hey I shop occasionally, sometimes even for auto related stuff.

@bing Some other threads wander very far into home improvement, lawnmowers, and the like, but they don’t end up starting fights. We’re still operating under the directive to run a forum under broad subject of cars and car-related stuff while keeping the environment pretty friendly. When we veer into politics and such, it may meet the criterion of on-topic, but it’s not friendly.

I’m not the thought police because I don’t know enough to play the thought police, @TheOldDays. Your comments don’t get hidden or deleted because of their factual content. They’re getting flagged and hidden because you’re starting arguments despite being asked to keep things civil.

3 Likes

It’s all a pointless financial burden. China is building thousands of new coal generators. Other countries are firing up their dormant coal generators. Electricity prices are doubling and quadrupling. The Chinese are pushing EVs domestically because the air pollution in the cities is so bad that people just can’t breath. The cost estimates have left out the annual EV registration fees and property taxes. Whatever pollution benefits we achieve are being cancelled by the acts of others. Also I don’t see any mention of the pollution from wars and war aftermaths.