I wonder if Bank of America is taking applications for the Darwin Awards?

I heard there was a cocoa supply problem and Hershey was having trouble with production. I went to replenish my Musketeers bars and the shelf was empty. But . . .they had been move to the halloween display.

Did they even bother to ask if you approve of the Halloween stuff being sold now ?

3 Likes

You guys are going to flag me yet but when I was in Menards I took a look again at one of those skeleton dogs. Iā€™ve been teasing to get one and chain him to the mail box and light him up. I think it would be great fun but they wanted $70 for it. Inflation.

If you venture into the aisles at Costco, there is an abundance of high-quality (i.e. NOT Hershey products) dark chocolate confections for sale, and several of them are on reduced-price for the next few weeks.

Static electricity certainly seems like it could produce enough spark to ignite gas fumes. That sort of Spark (like walking across a carpet, then touching something metal) enough to sting quite a bit when I lived in Colorado. I wonder what would cause a spark inside a cell phone? the only thing I can think of is the electric motor that causes the phone to vibrate. Maybe the camera flash circuit could cause a spark too. Probably best just to leave electronic gadgets inside car when pumping gas.

Costco is 30 miles away though. Iā€™ll check it out next coffee supply run.

I donā€™t think they would care anymore for my opinion than they would for yoursā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m not much of a connoisseur about chocolate and beer. I like Hersheyā€™s milk-chocolate bars best. Connoisseur chocolate too bitter. And I like the big seller lager-style American beers best, Miller High Life, Coors, Budweiser. Bitter, same issue, for connoisseur beers and especially ales. I just bought a case of Hersheyā€™s chocolate bars the other day. Yummy! The only thing of note was that I was charged $32 at the register, when the shelf label said $28. Price went up due to inflation probably. Store clerk was happy to refund the $4 after they checked the shelf price.

I do not know about how well kids are taught science today, but from what Iā€™ve seen and read, it appears that STEM has taken a backseat in schools. But I remember making static electricity in grade school classes (4th, 5th, and 6th gradeā€¦), simply as easy as combing your hair with a plastic comb, scuffing your feet on the carpet, and with a glass rod on silk, then using a wimshurst static generator (a hand cranked apparatus with two counter rotating wheels that generated static electricity) that could shoot a spark 6-inches or so across the poles, and we used a lyden jar (like a capacitor) to store the static electrify like a battery.

So, Iā€™m guessing that itā€™s not so much the phone generating the static as the plastic and glass case scuffing against the clothing of the user. But Iā€™m surmise that the ringer and vibrator might have some ability to generate staticā€¦

Perhaps some of you remember the secret use of an old capacitor after performing a tune-up on cars ā€œof oldā€¦ā€. You place the capacitor on the exhaust or intake manifold, hook a spark plug wire up to the wire lead, and crank the engine over a few times, then carefully place it where an unsuspecting ā€œvictimā€ might grab itā€¦ Or if you were more sinister, you tossed it to a co-worker/friend and yelled ā€œcatchā€¦ā€

Costco was .30 a gallon cheaper, down side they had christmas trees up.

Good prices, but that place is unpleasant to visit, not worth the hassle for the savings imo.

1 Like

Yeah a capacitor is just a storage device for electricity so will store and discharge like a battery. Learned that in signal school not science classes. I didnā€™t know what a transitor was either. So much for high school science.

I still make sure the gas nozzle touches the plastic gas can to ground it though just like the sign says. Even though I know better. Iā€™m scared to get gas now.

In shop class we used to stick the lead end of a condenser into a spark plug wire to get it charged, then throw it to someone who would catch it, major zap! I know we have talked the bad capacitors before, so here is my new story. 5 years ago I had new points and condensers put on the 1967 5 horse for the 51 crestliner row/motor boat. This year it kind of puked. Boat guy found one condenser had popped the lead off at the condenser. Both solder joints still there, but not connected. Dale had never seen that before. The next week motor running pukey, he finds the other condenser did the same thing.

Nothing. Thatā€™s why there is no documented case of this happening.

4 Likes

RE: ā€œgroundingā€ a plastic gas can. For those of you that get CarTalk puzzlers via email, a similar recent puzzler was related. Stating to not fill a gas can in a truck bed with a drop in liner because your gas can is not grounded. I question that answer to the puzzler. I fill my gas cans out of the truck because I donā€™t want to chance spilling gas in the bed liner.

When was the last time you used a metal gas can?

1 Like

Plus for some of us, five gallons of gas is heavy.

2 Likes

That was my point! Gas ā€œcansā€ have been plastic for decades, making that puzzler highly questionable.
Likewise the gas ā€œtanksā€ on my boat and lawn equipment are plastic, no way to ground plastic.
But I still fill them on the ground in case of spillage.

Yup, thatā€™s why I use a 3 gallon canšŸ˜€.
We had analyzers that used 20 liter cubes of reagent. Had a guy that was a weight lifter, if a petite female co-worker would ask him to lift the cube into position he would claim sore back.

not to mention our dog,Shiloh- gets it before it bounces :slight_smile:

2 Likes