Gm to eliminate Apple Car Play and Android Auto

Here’s another reason why I won’t buy a GM product. The article says it’s about safety. BULL. It’s about GM creating a new app which they can then sell as a monthly service to their customers. I have Apple Car-Play and find it very helpful. I don’t have to even touch the screen to answer a call or send/read a text or get driving directions. It’s all voice command. The article really tried to spin it like it’s a safety thing. What a load of crap.

GM to eliminate Car Play and Android Auto

2 Likes

To clarify, this is only on future EVs, not anything else. At least not yet. Tesla doesn’t have it in their EVs so let’s not pretend like this is some crazy notion.

1 Like

Luckily I still buy my coffee with cash and don’t use my phone driving, but I sure don’t have a warm spot in my heart for google.

Reminds me of that old chicken farmer joke where they lost money on 1000 chickens sold and their answer for the next year was to double production. By 2035 they will be losing money on every vehicle produced not just 10%. Way to go Mary.

Yea…I read that. So what? It still extremely poor customer relations crap. This is NOT how to treat customers. I don’t care what company does it. Any company that does won’t get my business…PERIOD

So, the title of your link is “GM to eliminate Car Play and Android Auto”. That is misleading and IMO needed to be clarified. Accuracy matters. Based on your original post, GM lost your business prior to this announcement.

My first Gm was a 59 Pontiac. I’ve been buying Gm all my life but as a Gm fan, I’m afraid they have lost their way and am not inclined to buy another. So I agree with Mike regardless of his Gm purchase history.

The title of the article says GM says it’s nixing CarPlay to make drivers safer.

So I was just paraphrasing what the title of the article said. You have to actually read the article to understand it’s meaning.

Sounds like the def’n of capitalism.

2 Likes

And real pure capitalism is people like me taking my money elsewhere. They want to setup customer unfriendly practices…then they won’t get my business.

3 Likes

Just curious, what is it you don’t like about Google? I use it most every day, yet I’ve never received an invoice from them yet for the services they provide. I’ll grant their website seems to be getting a little more and more annoying by the month. I especially do not like their current gimick where they won’t let you continue until you click “Got It!”. I don’t like the increasing population of pop-ups asking me questions either. One of the reasons Google won their battle w/Yahoo is b/c Yahoo’s user interface was considerably more complex and full of information you didn’t ask about, and photos you didn’t ask to see.

My personal philosophy is to handle the negatives of capitalism exactly the same way. I wish everybody did that.

2 Likes

Yeah I use them too but their searches are very biased and you don’t realize it. Plus their efforts to be a monopoly. Don’t trust them.

1 Like

Looks like three people aren’t going to buy a new Corvette. General Motors, are you getting nervous?

4 Likes

I’m still going to buy a vette. I was NEVER going to buy a new vette. Not a fan. I can buy a used C7 Vette around here with under 20k miles for under $60k.

Unfortunately there are far too many circumstances that it won’t change a companies business practices.

To paraphrase a tall British guy; “General Motors is a pension and healthcare company with a money losing side business of making cars.”

3 Likes

If you receive a service for free… YOU and your information is the product.

3 Likes

The big tech companies like Google and Meta (Facebook) and many smaller sites are simply advertising agencies that have created useful utilities as bait to extract data from you which they use to make money from their true clients - businesses trying to make money. They also function as a location to place that advertising, some moreso than others. Google has been careful to avoid scattering ads all over their screens, instead making money by obtaining very specific data via our searches and also by getting paid for every purchase made that was referred to the seller by Google. You don’t need to trust them; you need to understand them and use them carefully.

3 Likes

Yup!
If I do an internet search regarding tires, the next day I have pop-up ads for tires on my screen. If I do an internet search for batteries, the same thing happens. If I visit a retailer’s website w/o making a purchase, I get pop-up ads for that retailer.

Targeted marketing is smart marketing