I rear ended a boat

What unique circumstance are we dealing with here? Don’t make us pull the information out of you. Give us the whole story or we can’t help you.

Was there a red flag hanging off the boat’s propeller? If any piece of cargo overhangs the brake lights of a truck or trailer, its driver should attach a red or orange flag to it. If not, you should mention this to your insurance company.

Only if it overhangs by more than 2 feet in my state.

Did you already pay to fix the boat ?
This is all typical of that ‘‘texting’’ thread also found here.
Tired…texting…eating.reading…ALL with results like this.
If you fix it at all is up to you like all the others have said.
Insurance ? Out of pocket ? Don’t do anything now ?
Your choice.

What unique circumstance are we dealing with here? Don't make us pull the information out of you. Give us the whole story or we can't help you.
Diplomatic immunity?
Boat is actually an acronym - Bust Out Another Thousand

lol … That’s a good way to think about it. On the most recent NPR Car Talk episode Tom was speculating why car manufacturers used radio antennas that automatically went up and down when you turned the radio on and off? After all, that isn’t really a necessary feature. Ray replied the main advantage was that his repairing this feature when it fails in his customer’s cars has produced enough income for three boat payments!!

The automatically retracting antennas were simply much more aesthetic than the bent coat hangers that people used to put on to replace the original antenna that some kid ripped off. Being from Boston, I’m pretty certain that Tom actually knew that. Boston had a lot of coat hangers driving around.

If that hood is aluminum it likely needs to be replaced as its very difficult to work with and results are variable.

If claim is <$1000 typically does not count against you. My guess though there is a missing part of story if you stated “unique circumstances” like previous accidents or DUI conviction or something making you want to avoid insurance.

@GeorgeSanJose I worked for the GM division that made power antennas. The little motor pushed a plastic “rope” to extend and pulled to retract the antenna mast EVERY time the engine started and stopped. Every Time, Every Key Cycle.

No matter what the engineers did, they could never get that that mast to survive past about 40,000 miles in normal use. Some MUCH sooner in the Grandma (very short trips) Cycle. The plastic rope always broke. To make them cheap, they were not serviceable. Because they weren’t serviceable, they had to be replaced at 30-40K. And some of them were a bear to remove!

^
I don’t know for sure about the life cycle of the power antennas on Nissan Maximas back in the 90s, but I do recall that almost every one of them had a partially extended, stuck antenna after ~2 years. From what I observed in my area, the life cycle of Nissan’s power antennas may have been even shorter than that of GM vehicles.

We had the auto retract antenna on our 1964 Cadillac and it lasted well beyond 40,000 miles.

At least when Toyota was in the power antenna phase, it only came on if the radio was on. Radio off, no antenna extension.

The plastic rope still stripped, but it took more like 80-100k to do it.