I need to buy a car

Good Grief , just how paranoid are you. I think you said you were a HVAC type repairman so are you telling people to avoid the web enabled home thermostats ? We have it and just like the nice power features we have had on our vehicles I say look for something important to worry about.

1 Like

Speaking as a 77 year old geezer, one needs to stay up with technology. I unwrapped a new clock radio–a present from my wife. It took half an hour of studying the manual, but I can see how functional it is. I can pair it with my Smart phone and we can both listen to the conversation when our son calls. I can stream in music from my Smartphone.
I find the technology on our 2017 Sienna useful. I like being able to touch the screen to select my favorite station. I have my Smartphone paired with the audio system so I can either push a button on the steering wheel or push the phone icon on the touch screen to answer a call.
We didn’t have that first problem with the automatic temperature control on our 1993 Oldsmobile 88 or our present 2003 Toyota 4Runner or 2017 Toyota Sienna.
Now I grew up in the country and our family had to make every penny count. I can operate a wringer wash machine. I can defrost a refrigerator. I can even fire up a coal furnace, but I sure don’t want to do these things
The disadvantage of today’s technology is that there isn’t much I can do to repair my equipment. I used to repair my tube type black and white television. Once a year, I had to clean the mechanical tuner. Now all I have to do is put a couple AAA batteries in the remote.
As far as cars are concerned, I have never had a problem with power windows. Yet, I had to replace window cranks on my 71 Ford Maverick and my 1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass. The outside rear view mirror on the 78 Cutlass operated by a cable. I had to remove the door panel to repkace a set screw that had fallen out. I have never had a problem with power mirrors. I’ll take the new technology.

1 Like

Most of Nissan’s problems have to do with the CVT. Wouldn’t get anything but a manual which is only on the base model that also has crank up windows and manual door locks. Paid $11,500 out the door for a 2018 last spring.

Ooops, my post was indeed a little ambiguous. I was referring to the 2007 Civic.

1 Like

Try a different window? :wink:

1 Like

car is due for timing belt. i think it has one? needs tires. struts. lots of cars need tires eventually. maybe the aveo vibe has worn thin? time for an upgrade?

LOL
 Are we honestly discussing the reliability of those pesky new fangled power windows that seem to work without fail for decades? Those units? Uh boyee

I’d spend my time and worry on a Tin Foil Hat project for better reception of the Universal Consciousness instead of whether your power window system is about to turn Machiavellian on you
or not.

It’s all about time management people!

4 Likes

If the Aveo just needed a head gasket, that would be one thing. This one needs lots of other issues addressed as well that will likely add up to more than the value of the car.

If you REALLY like the car and want more life out of it, get the head gasket done. Do the timing set and water pump at the same time. The mechanic may insist on it. The timing belt will have to come off for this job anyway. Do anything else that touches the belt. That includes idlers, the water pump, etc. Look for leaking seals. Again, the mechanic may insist on changing those too.

Then start knocking out the other issues one a month or so until nothing major is wrong with the car.

I agree that this car could last a while longer as long as there is nothing major structural like body rust but it wasn’t known as the best car from the start. DEFINITELY do the timing belt if you proceed as that is a major issue with these and WILL damage the engine again if it breaks.

I also agree that many basic economy cars were pretty good for what they were but just treated as throwaway cars. You see this all the time with Geo Metros which I am a fan of myself. These little things run forever if maintained but people do not do basic maintenance and that leads to their demise.

So what? The “value of the car” according to Kelly Blue Book or NADA or any other pricing source is really not important. It is just a measure of what you could sell the car for, in running condition, on the open market.

What is truly important is what the alternative would cost, i.e. what it would cost to replace the car with a different running car versus the cost to repair this one. Too many people fall into the trap of comparing Blue Book value to the repair/maintenance costs which their current car needs, and in the process take on tens of thousands of dollars of loan debt and higher insurance costs.

2 Likes

See and that’s the thing, I really don’t want to buy another car, but the thing that has put me off is reading past threads about the Aveo and how it is absolute junk. There is also a possibility that it is the oil cooler, which I am hoping for, but the way that my luck has been this last 6 months it will probably be the head

Do you know how much free advice is worth?

I can find those comments on almost anything I own or have purchased or am thinking about purchasing. Some of my best vehicles have been described as the pits.

Most modern cars will last and last depending on how they are maintained.

Get several estimates for repairs from qualified technicians.

It’s usually best to dance with the one who brought you. Buying used is no guarantee of a trouble-free vehicle.
CSA
:palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

2 Likes

@Meg_Duggan. I wouldn’t put much stock into comments from those who say an Aveo is junk unless those people have actually owned one. Some responders on this thread thought the Ford Windstar with the 3.8 liter engine was a horrible vehicle. I put thousands of miles on my 2000 Windstar and had no major expenses. I also had a Ford Taurus with the same engine and never had an engine problem. On the other hand, I once owned a 1955 Pontiac that was on the Consumer Reports recommended list. Based on my experience, I would recommend against purchasing a 1955 Pontiac. The engine had just been overhauled by the Rambler agency where I bought the car. The car had a manual transmission which should have been trouble free. What I didn’t realize when I bought the Pontiac was that an oil filter was a factory option. The one I purchased didn’t have this option. Hence, even though the engine had had new rings and a valve job, there was enough residual sludge in the block to gum up the oil passages and then the rocker arms would chirp. The manual transmission was under designed for the V-8 engine that was new in 1955. I had to have a new rear bearing in the transmission.
Now, probably 90% of the Pontiacs in 1955 had the reliable Hydramatic automatic transmission and probably 98% were equipped with an oil filter. Owners of these 1955 Pontiacs gave them high marks for being trouble free. I bought into the myth that manual transmissions (the 3 speed column shift) were more reliable than the automatic. Actually, the opposite was true for many cars in those days. The manual transmissions used in many cars of the 1950s were designed for cars in the late 1930s and 1940s where the engines were less powerful.
I have had major work done on older cars where I was told I should move up to a better used car because the book value of my car indicated it wasn’t worth the repair. In the financial situation I was in at the time, it made more sense to put money in the car I had, because I knew the history of the car and I wouldn’t know the history of a newer used car. Stretching the years I kept a car proved economical for me.

Please tell that to the Luddites who insist that features like power windows, power steering, power brakes, power seats, power moonroofs, backup cameras, and touchscreens are the work of the Devil and will require a LOT of repairs.
:wink:

1 Like

If those power features cause loss of sleep
 Imagine what not having a dipstick would manifest in the patient

BMW has a new penchant for dipstick delete these days
 you must rely on the computer and sensors
 I am NOT a fan but, just thought I would raise the question
LOL

1 Like

Dipstick? What’s a dipstick?:thinking:
CSA
:palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

To get an idea of the assortment of power window problems reported here, type in “power windows” using the forum search feature, the icon that looks like a magnifying glass, above right.

2 Likes

My daughter owned a Chevy Aveo. It is made by Daewoo and is total junk. It too had a failed head gasket and MANY, MANY problems
constantly. It is also terrifying small and light. She got into an accident with a Ford F-150 on the highway (and a bit of the guardrail too). Her car was destroyed (capital “D”) and she had to go to the hospital for observation. She was ok. The F-150 drove home with minor damage.

My ex-wife bought her that car, without my input. While I was traveling on business they decided to replace the Aveo with a Nissan Versa. My daughter told me recently that the next time she goes car shopping she is taking me with her, not her mother.

3 Likes

I concur with your evaluation that your current car isn’t worth fixing. Daewoo was of somewhat questionable quality to begin with, so even if you put the money into getting yours up to snuff, there’s little guarantee you won’t have more problems next month. There’s a reason you don’t see many Daewoos on the road anymore, even though you see other brands of cars of the same vintage all the time.

Of the three cars you list here, all of them would be great choices from a reliability standpoint (assuming the previous owner took care of them). I suspect you’d be happier with the Hondas - they tend to be more enjoyable to drive than the Corolla, which strives for and handily achieves a “paler shade of beige” in pretty much every category. It’s one of those cars that’s so reliable you wish it would break so you could replace it with something less boring. :wink:

The choice between the Accord and Civic really comes down to how much cabin and trunk room you want/need.

As the others said, don’t worry about the electrics. Even if you drive into a lake, which you won’t, the electricals will still work plenty long enough for you to get out, which needs to be quickly because once you’re completely submerged the pressure differential will keep the windows from opening whether they’re manual or electric.

If it’s a particularly worrisome phobia, you can buy peace of mind with a glass-breaking hammer that you keep in your car. Google “Lifehammer.”

2 Likes

Hopefully nobody here will ever need that info. But it is good to know anyway. If you want to understand why – if your car ever goes into water – you should immediately open all the doors and windows possible before the car sinks even a foot or two, watching the MythBuster’s episode on this topic will make the reason very clear.

1 Like

Keep in mind that the Chevy Spark is the replacement for the Aveo in the GM small car lineup. It is also a GM Daewoo product but seems to be better made than the Aveo and other Daewoo lines. The earlier models of the Spark apparently had some issues including major oil burning but more recent revisions seem to be better. All models of this car also use a timing chain instead of the dreaded belt which seemed to be an issue with many Daewoo models.

My GF had enough of her Daewoo including her own blown head gasket and viewed the name like a cuss word. She would get mad when I made mention of the name. She wanted a small car to replace it and I never mentioned the Spark. She saw one on the road driving and commented it was a cute car and wondered why I never mentioned this as a possibility to her. I told her it was just another Daewoo and she just got that look and didn’t say anymore!

I think we would all agree that these are better than the Chevette that came before these models.

1 Like