1991 Corolla automatic transmission

The dilemma: Should I spend this much money on this car.

Story: The trans went out this summer. My son tried to save me money, by doing it himself. This was his first automatic transmission, that he had replaced. He did not know that he needed to add fluid to the differential, separately. I drove the car for about 5000 miles with no problem. Now the error has been discovered and I need a new transmission. Car seems to be in sound mechanical shape, but has a lot of rust. I am trying to decide if I should put more money into this car. My son is no longer able to work on the car and it looks like a total of around $800 to have another transmission put in, with only a 90 day warranty. I would greatly appreciate any input. Thank you

The Toyotas are down on the left side next to the Hondas, by the back fence. Park it down there and bring the keys and plates back to the office…3200 pounds times .30 cents. That’s $96…

Usually, the rust you don’t see is worse than the rust that you do see. Your car is 19 years old with apparently a lot of rust. I don’t think you should put any money into the car.

If the engine, steering and suspension are all sound, there probably isn’t a better $800 car out there.

“It has a lot of rust.” If that means what I think it means, don’t spend any more money on this car.

Corollas are very reliable, and can often be driven to 300,000 miles, but if your car is seriously rusted, forget it.

You haven’t told us the mileage on your car, however, which might matter.

It was nice of you to let your son experiment and learn with your car.

Your car is nearly 20 years old. Unless you’ve kept it in a garage and the mileage is low it’s not worth spending any money on.

$800 for a transmission with a 90 day warranty is no bargain.

It’s time to look for another car.

More info: car has around 126,xxx miles. Rust around bottom edges, two large holes in the trunk. Mechanic says that the rust has not affected the integrity of the car. Engine. steering and suspension seem fine. New struts a year ago. Keep the input coming . Thank you.

Everything else looks good.
Thanks for the input.
Still deciding.

126,xxx.
Thanks for the input.
Still deciding.

Don’t throw good money after bad. I can make a car last a very long time at minimal cost, but yours is in such a shape that Caddyman’s recommendation is the right one. Three cents a pound or put it in the paper to sell for parts.

A wise mechanic once told me that as long as a car has a strong and sound body/frame, anything else can be replaced.
If this car has alot of rust you can have a brand new engine, transmission and everything else but its still not worth scrap.

What is your budget for your next vehicle?

In the realm of auto repairs $800 is not terrible. People spend that on maintenance for Honda’s when the timing belt is due.

If the transmission lasts one year is $800 too expensive for you? It all depends on budget.

Budget for a replacement car would probably be under $2500. Depending on repairs it may need. $800 isn’t really too much. Just don’t want to waste $800. The only real plus this car has over my other beater cars is that the A/C actually works.