I love Corvettes, but this is absurd

Nobody “needs” a Corvette and nobody is “forcing” anyone to buy one.so enough of the whinning!

Seriously this demand for immediate gratification reminds my of my grandson but he’s only 9 months old.

1 Like

The consumer who has to pay over invoice isn’t winning.

The Nashua dealer has a great reputation in the Corvette forums, my understanding is for 2022 they became the highest selling Corvette dealer, but only by less than 50 units.

Of course, $100k over MSRP for any car is absurd. But it is even more absurd for someone to pay it than it is for the dealer to offer the car for sale at that price.

After all, there is a person here who keeps posting a 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier with less than 30,000 miles on Craigslist…with an asking price of $12k “firm”. Another person here keeps posting a 2002 Chevrolet Venture with about 38,000 miles for an asking price of $11,500 “firm”. Both of these ads keep reposting month after month after month, but they’re free to ask, right???

1 Like

Their showroom is 2 floors. The top floor is strictly corvettes (new and used).

1 Like

There is not enough inventory to satisfy everyone that wants one. How does raising prices, to thin out the herd, make those that now cannot afford one a winner?

1 Like

This isn’t a toy on the shelf at Walmart. Many interested buyers have saved for a long time, if not their whole working life, to be able to afford their dream car. Now that’s not possible. I’d hardly call that instant gratification. Personally, I can understand the frustration and disappointment aimed at the dealerships that are taking advantage of the situation. You’d think at a chat board called CARTALK, people would be more understanding about a passion for things automotive. Everyone could get by with a Yugo but most people prefer to enjoy some level of enhancement in the driving experience…

2 Likes

Exactly. So you adjust pricing accordingly to modify the number of people who want it.

Raise prices, and those that would have to wait until 2024 are now winners. You end up with more profit and a shorter waiting list.

MSRP is just that, suggested. Once an item becomes popular, prices often rise. Dealers often sell a car below MSRP, isn’t that a problem as well?

Now don’t get me wrong here, I think actively marking up a car tens of thousands or a hundred thousand is crazy. But the answer to that is for buyers to stop paying that kind of premium. We’re not talking about necessary goods or services here, we’re talking about a luxury item akin to a boat or vacation home.

Apparently, we have vastly different definitions for the term “want”.
The price of any car has not stopped me from wanting one and that would be especially true if you snapped it out from under me by doubling the already high price.

1 Like

And…So What? Still doesn’t explain how this is a win-win.

2 Likes

An historic selling point for the Corvette is that it is an incredible bargain. Chevrolet can change their marketing plan any time they want, but it does not appear that they changed anything. Dealers with high ADP are messing with the manufacturer’s marketing plan, and if I were in Chevrolet marketing, I would make it clear to dealers that engage in exorbitant ADP that it would be taken into account when sales planning with that dealer takes place again.

I believe that is already happening. So the dealer must then decide who will dictate their business practices. Some dealers will fall in line, some won’t.

I may want a new car, a new pair of shoes, a new turntable, a trip to South America. But when I find out what it’s going to cost I may not want it anymore and will start looking for something different. My want has turned into a dream.

Raise the price enough to reduce demand and more people will get what they want sooner. Eliminate the people not wanting to pay the dealer markup and the folks waiting for 2024 can have theirs now. Plus, the dealer makes more money.

The guy with $80,000 in his pocket just doesn’t want that car as bad as the guy with $180,000 in his.

Of course, there are people for whom $80K might as well be $180K.

The only people winning are the dealers. The average joe who has the money to buy the corvette NOW is losing out. Sorry…still don’t buy it that it’s a win-win.

1 Like

I can certainly understand a passion for things automotive, the desire to immediatly acquire the car of your dreams and that “This isn’t a toy on the shelf at Walmart” but this is exactly my point.

For the serious enthusiast half the joy is the anticipation and search for that desired object, wether it’s a Mille Miglia Bugatti, Split Window Corvette, 1967 Mustang “I took Bobby Sue to the Drive In” or even a “quirky” and still running Yugo.

For myself between economics, job and family it took 15 years to find my “dream car”, another year to get it running and paid full asking price. Could have gone to the Chevy dealer and bought a “better” car off the lot for less but 30 years later I’m still driving and enjoying it.

On the other hand for those who “just got to have the latest and greatest” Iphone, Atari or Corvette, God bless 'em but don’t be surprised if there’s “shortages” and “price gouging” to relieve the suckers of their money.
And for the rest of us I’m currently looking at the C4 Corvettes, sharp looking cars, all the performance I could need and with examples running in the $5,000 - $10,000 range. Perfect car to go with my bald spot. :rofl:

There will always be people with more $$$$$ than sense. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

You should read my post more carefully:

See, I told you we have different definitions. Those terms are synonymous to me :slight_smile:

C8 going for ~$150,000 around here. :unamused:

C8 with 2LT for $85k, 3LT for $95k, one Z06 listed for $150k within 50 miles of Dallas.

Capture

Mecum sold a 15mi z06 coupe for rpughly $100,000 over msrp .