I know this is bizarre

My wife and I drive very differently. Her driving makes me nuts and my driving annoys her. We’ve been doing this for 45 years or so, and mostly we just suffer in silence. She really doesn’t drive my car at all (02 Miata, 6 speed shift) and I drive her CR-V when we travel together. She sleeps a lot when I drive.

If you want to stay married you make your deals, and then you shut up and smile. Remember, staying married might just mean you never both wanted a divorce at the same time.

2 Likes

Ugh, whatever Shadow dude…I mean Volvo, the expert!

My wife sleeps a lot when we travel. As far as vehicles are concerned, I don’t get attached to a vehicle because my wife will decide I need a new vehicle so she can sell the vehicle I’ve been driving to our son at a big family discount. However, this is a small price to pay after I lost my first wife and was a single dad for a while. With the joy and happiness that Mrs. Triedaq brought into my life and my son’s life, the last thing I would do is be possessive of a vehicle.

1 Like

You are a very wise, lucky, and smart man.
There’re two old axioms I like:

1. don’t sweat the small stuff.
  2. it’s all small stuff.

God bless.

Bizzare? What, annoying thread titles?

Car problems involving the husband/wife relationship? Someone should come up w/ a call-in radio show about that topic :slight_smile:

My perspective, I never had a problem when the wife drove my car, as long as I wasn’t in it at the time.

1 Like

Heh heh heh. @wentwest reminded me. I had an interview in Sioux Falls just out of school with an old type lawyer. I was going to be married soon so he went into the secrets of marriage. He said if the wife wants a new rug, we go buy a new rug. He thought that settled it. Among some other stories he told aimed at reducing my salary. Good Ole C.L. Over 40 years and I can still hear him.

Unfortunately Jman 136 is far from being alone.

1 Like

Sorry, but since Ronald Reagan signed no-fault divorce into law in California many decades ago, divorce in nearly every state does not require agreement between the two spouses.

Be careful with that statement. Divorce is a states-rights issue, and every state has its own statutes on divorce. What RR did in California when he was governor does not affect the laws in other states, and few followed CA on this issue.

Most state laws on divorce are very antiquated, designed to ensure that the woman is well taken care of even if the man has to live in a cardboard box on a sewer grate to do it. And if he loses his job and becomes unable to support her in the manner to which she’s become accustomed (IAW HER version), the man goes directly to jail. The laws were written in a time when women could not get a decent wage, and they’ve never been updated to reflect modern society.

I was very careful with that statement. The other states followed along like lemmings. They maybe gave it their own twist, but it was a national movement spearheaded by California.

For 10 years, I supplied no-fee counseling to divorced and unwed fathers and did legal research so they got correct information. ALR was only one source.

Several years ago, Federal C/S officials sent a letter to all states specifically telling them a man should not be jailed for contempt if he was unemployed. But, nothing stopped the local judges.

This is a car forum. A lot of those guys end up living in their car. And, cars are not suited for winter sleeping.