I Have a Dog Walking Business in SF. All stop/start driving, with big hills too! What's best car

I know the Honda Fit’s a bit small, but that fold-UP rear seat might work very well for dogs - we thought of getting one as our golden aged, just walk in, no jumping required.

Another vote for a hybrid . The Standard Prius is quite roomy with a semi hatchback design…it should do nicely. As far as getting in and out, do hip flexor, extensor, adductor and abductor exercises as discribed by physical therapists to enhance your ability to get in and out. It’s cheaper and you will end up in much better overall health. I would do that at least in a NY minute.

texases, I have had my eye on a fit as well. I like that trick back seat. Hey here’s a pix of some of my clients. You can see they’re pretty small. You see that the back of my Mazda van is more than too big. There’s no reason to luge that huge heavy thing around town.

I like the fit, but the problem is it’s so low, the in and outs really take a toll on my body.

What do you think of using a high cushion, I can slip it under my butt before I get out, and use it to get in, but drive without it. I’ll have to experiment with it.

Wish I could get a C-Max. I may go the Prius route as I can get a used one (though that doesn’t seem so easy either)

Thanks, I love this site, you guys rock!

Honda Elements are popular with pet owners. Other boxy smallish cars: Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe (same car), Scion xB (not the tiny 1st gen, the bigger 2nd gen), Kia Soul (like a bigger Cube), Ford Escape Hybrid (probably your best gas mileage), Mazda5, Mazda3 hatchback, Hyundai Elantra Touring (small wagon), Ford Focus wagon (stopped making some years ago), Chevy HHR. Cars to avoid: Dodge Caliber, Chrysler PT Cruiser.

Thanks Mark, it’s true dog walkers like boxy!

I live in San Francisco at the bottom of two big hills. I used to catch the streetcar to work by Duboce Park where I’d often see dogwalkers. I was impressed by how well they managed a bunch if dogs all at once.

Hi Mark,
Yeah, that’s what we do. Though Duboce Park is pretty dicey, I wouldn’t take a bunch of dogs there, too many…CARS!

I do enjoy my work.
shrimp