I don't know what's wrong with my car. I have so many people tell me different things

I have a 2000 Honda Accord 3.0 V6 EX I have it for a little over a year. It started about 6 months ago if I have to drive my car all over town and turn it on and off multiple times I’ll go to turn it over it won’t go over 1000 rpms and then die I crank it again and have to keep pressing the gas to keep it running and if I don’t throw it in reverse and drive quickly it will die but after I get it to run after a few times of that and drive it and turn it off and let it sit for at least 30 mins to an hour it will turn over just fine. It will only do it when it’s turned on and off multiple times a day that’s the only time it will do this. I have taken it to about 5 to 6 mechanics and they have all told me different things but they also told me they were just guessing that what they said might be the problem or might not be. Since this happened I have had loss of power in my engine and loss gas mileage I use to get close to 300 miles off one tank of gas now I get under 200 miles. And if it helps since this happened if I accelerate over 60 mph I get a smell of almost kinda like rotten egg like. Please reply if you know what this might be.

Check engine light on?

Yes but it comes on for a little while after it does that then goes off and when they’ve hooked a computer to it puts out a misfire on cylinder 1,2,4 and 5 and a random misfire

Seems to be too much fuel. Typically a leaking fuel pressure regulator or leaking fuel injectors.

This generation accord, with a V6 engine is legendary for getting clogged EGR ports. Ericthecarguy has a YouTube video on how to unclog them - it isn’t the EGR valve that’s usually the problem, its the passages into the engine between the valve and the intake. The other thing it might be is the fuel injectors are gunked up and leaking when the engine turns off. You may want to get the fuel injectors cleaned. Misfires can be because of bad spark plugs, bad plug wires or a bad distributor as well. It is cheap to buy a spark tester and see if you are getting spark yourself. It is easy, and cheap (free if you already have the right socket) to take the spark plugs out and look at them to determine if you have bad spark plugs. The EGR valve can be checked by yourself if you have the right hand tools to do it. Scotty Kilmer has a YouTube video on how to find the source of misfires that also suggests to have the battery and alternator tested for Free at an auto parts store, and buy a can of carburetor cleaner while you’re there, cheap, and you can spray it around and see if you have a vacuum leak.

What is the mileage (how many miles?)on your car? You will likely at this high mileage (and 17 years old car) need a number of things.

In addition to the ports clogging, you will likely need spark plugs as well.

There is no reason why a good mechanic cannot accurately diagnose what you need.

Several possibilities. Clogged catalytic converter, computer going bad.
If possible take it to a Honda Dealer when the check engine light is on.
Often independent shops do not have the latest updates for the computer.

1 Like

Misfires usually mean a problem with the fuel, spark, or exhaust system. Hondas of this era seemed to have some problems with a fuel injection relay. I think when that part failed the car just wouldn’t run at all, or would work ok, then turn completely off intermittently. When you say you can let it sit for 30 minutes then it works ok, that would be consistent with an electrical problem of some sort, so it may be that relay, or a sensor, like the crank position sensor. So either the fuel injection relay or the crank position sensor would be my guess where to start. I’m thinking you may have more than one problem, but you got to start somewhere.

We hear a lot about worn distributors on older Hondas: the shaft getting a little loose; also the pickup coil and ignition coil which IIRC are all inside the distributor.