I broke the screen of my fuel inlet needle's seat: what can I do?

Rebuilding my carburetor, when I took the seat for the fuel inlet needle off, it had a brown ‘nose’, a plastic (?) cylinder, closed at the bottom, that fit the chamber beneath it. The repair kit doesn’t have one; the picture doesn’t show it. I think it’s varnish. Part 42 on this worksheet. Is this varnish? Why didn’t it block the fuel?

Huh?? The kit didn’t provide you with a new needle and seat? Try and clean off the varnish with spray carb cleaner and see if it comes off. I would not suggest soaking it in cleaner lest it melt the needle and seat that did not come in the kit.

Are you SURE there’s no needle and seat in that kit??

You misunderstood. The kit has a new needle and seat. It lacks the plastic thing I described, the part underneath the seat. It isn’t varnish: I can see ‘15’ embossed on its inside bottom. Unfortunately I had to put a lot of elbow grease into removing the seat, in the process damaging the plastic thing. The parts list doesn’t show it. Is it important? Can I do without?

I watched another video. The part I’m talking about is a screen. It isn’t in the rebuild kit, and I damaged mine. How can I replace it? Should I use it broken? Should I do without? Arrrggghhh…:cry:

Leaving the screen out won’t cause a problem but having one installed can prevent a problem in the future. Ford 2bbls had a similar screen and more often than not I tossed them when rebuilding carburetors due to having debris lodged in them. If a good fuel filter is installed and the fuel line from the filter to the carburetor is clean there shouldn’t be a problem.

1 Like

Thanks for your answer. Mine is clean - after 30 years and 150K miles. It would seem like an appropriate part for a rebuild kit. The parts guy at the only Toyota dealership in town tells me to wait a second; I wait 5 minutes in silence before I remember that ‘how do you keep a moron in suspense’ joke and hang up. He’s done this twice.

Would it be better to use the broken one (it has a tear near the top)?

If you reinstall the screen could it break apart and become the problem that it was designed to prevent? After all those miles you saw no debris in the old one due to apparently good maintenance and your concern for replacing that piece indicates maintenance in the future will be good. I never found a source for the screen on Ford 2bbls and long ago quit worrying about the situation other than replacing fuel filters regularly. I was dealing with old Broncos and pickups that were often drug out of pastures and after running a few tanks of fuel through them rust and emulsified rubber and deteriorated fuel filter paper were shutting down the engines. I feel confident you won’t be dealing with any failing fuel filters.

How many threads now for this carb thingie?

1 Like

Entirely too many.

1 Like