I am getting a used car as a gift from a friend. It's registered in Texas, will be given to me in Georgia, and I live in Florida. How do I go about doing this?

Going a bit off topic, but for me it isn’t about trust. I don’t think any of my friends would abuse my car. But accidents happen, and if they crashed it, it could lead to a mess of hard feelings and someone being out money. It’s not worth it. When friends ask to borrow my truck, I just say “sure, I’ll drive.”

5 Likes

Exactly. It’s the other driver that hits the car I don’t trust.

1 Like

Some states allow gifting of vehicles but only to family members. You will need to check with the state DMV in the state where you will be registering the vehicle to confirm the rules. If Florida allows “gifting” by non-family members then the gift affidavit should be sufficient.

If gifting to friends is NOT allowed then you will need a bill of sale for a low amount and an explanation that the sale price is based on your friendship with each other. Most states will not accept a registration without a gift affidavit or a bill of sale.

I’ve never borrowed or loaned a vehicle. Too easy to lose a friend or create problems with a relative and that’s why God created Hertz. :wink:

Insurance for the drive is simple to arrange, contact your agent/company, and if you get stopped for any reason, you’ll have Proof of Insurance that may be the difference between driving home or getting your car impounded.

My State also allows tax free Gift Transfers to Immediate Family members but you need to provide various forms (some signed by the person who gave the gift) and proof of relationship (some signed by the person who gave the gift), in addition to the usual Title Transfer and Release of Lien, if any.

If not a Gift Transfer to Immediate Family member, for tax purposes the DMV defaults to Blue Book value and though I suppose it’s possible to provide proof otherwise, your chances are better trying to get a pig to fly.

And BTW most DMVs are absolute maniacs about ANY errors, ommisions or corrections on Title Transfers so be sure to do it right the first time!!!

The bottom line - Well in advance of your delivery date, contact your Florida DMV to get all the information / forms so you can do a smooth transfer.

1 Like

By now I suspect suggestions are moot.
Me, I would have flown to Texas rather than Georgia, transferred title in Texas, get insurance, then do a road trip to Georgia, drop the friend at their Georgia destination, then down to Florida. Might cost a few dollars more, but fewer headaches.

1 Like

My insurer has a zero day grace period, but that more of a state rule thing. All the insurers do that. When I bought my last car, the dealer wouldn’t finish the deal until I had it insured.