Selling my 1994 camry LE

Hi guys,

My question is this… if I am selling my car to a guy from another city, what will I have to do, do I just have to hand over the car title and the keys or is there a certain procedure??..

Check with your state’s DMV; if the buyer is in another state check with his state’s DMV also. You normally have to transfer titles through the DMV.

The buyer is from the same state but from another city. So after the deal is done, do I have to take him to the local DMV and transfer titles??

It varies by state. Contact your local DMV to make sure the change is correctly handled. Also check with your insurance agent.

I not sure about your state but in Pa you can handle the transaction independantly. I can do my paperwork and send it to the buyer and he finish it later at another location. It is very important to make sure that the title is transfer from you. Otherwise you could be vulnerable to fraud if the buyer does not transfer the title.

You need to make sure you get it out of your name-legaly!

The cars I have sold were done via signed title and info filled in.
Don’t forget to take off your license plates!
Also write up 2 copies of a bill of sale stating sale date, sale price, vin, car description and the words being sold as is, no warranty.
Both sign and date both copies, you keep 1 and give him one. And be cautious about someone who wants you to write a lower price, their goal is to pay less sales tax upon titling the car in some states, I would hate to get a call requesting me to verify a sales price and have to lie about it. The buyers taxes are not my problem, besides there is the deposit of the check as a paper trail.
These are only the things I do, not a legal opinion, do not try this at home :slight_smile:

Register my vote as another to check with your state’s DMV and with your insurance egent. Those are the people who know the correct answer.

Many people seem not to realize that it’s best to go to the specific agency or those with specific expertise when trying to find the snwer to a question. We regularly get questions that should have been asked directly of the DMV, of a lawyer, or an insurance agent. We even get questions that should have been asked directly of the cops, or the bank, or the leinholder. Or even the mechanic that worked on the car. I don’t mind, in fact I’m complimented, but I’m always puzzled by it.

It varies by state. Here in OK you simply go to a Notary Public and sign off on the title followed by having the title stamped with a notary seal. They hand you the payment, you hand over the keys/title, and it’s a quick, painless done deal.

Since there can be a bit of fraud involved in car transactions I would advise that you be careful about which method of payment you accept. Cold cash is preferred since it’s always possible to get a fraudulent cashiers check or even money orders.

Here in OK about 5 years ago there was a rash of legitimate looking U.S. Postal Service money orders being passed around; all for 600 dollars each which I believe is the maximum amount a USPS money order can be gotten in.
Some people sold cars (say a 3 grand car), took five 600 dollar fake money orders, and were clean out of luck.

Even using a credit card or electronic payment like PayPal should be avoided as it’s quite possible (and happens often) for someone to turn around, dispute the deal, and leave you holding the bag. Especially so if this is an eBay deal.