Hyundai Fuel System Cleaner

I just hit 15,000 miles on my new used 2013 Hyudai Elantra, and the maintenance schedule says I need, among other things, to put a bottle of Hyundai Complete Fuel System Cleaner in a nearly empty gas tank and then fill it up. I can get the stuff for 16 or 17 dollars on Amazon, or I’m sure I can pay the dealership 8 million dollars for it. My question is this: Do any of you know if there is anything special about this particular fuel system cleaner, or can I just find some cheaper alternative? It does say “with Techron technology” right on the bottle.

I’d just get a bottle of Techron. Hyundai doesn’t make the stuff, anyway. I’d be very surprised if it was better than Techron.

For five bucks, you can go to Wally World and get the same stuff and put in the gas tank yourself.

Tester

You could also get a can of Berryman B-12 for about 3.50 and do the same thing.

Or you could recognize that government standards and the maturity of the technology mean that all gasolines come with fuel system cleaners in them already, and they use pretty much all the same formula.

Unless you’re having an operating problem, I don’t advocate fuel additives. They’re added cost without benefit. This is one case where I disagree with the owner’s manual recommendation. I very, very rarely do so. In this case the recommendation may be there because the cars are sold on the worldwide market, and fuel quality is not standardized throughout the world.

Or?

Maybe Hyundai realizes that not all it’s owners have access to Top Tier gasoline?

http://www.toptiergas.com/

Tester

I think the OM states use the cleaner if you are not using top tier gasoline as @Tester is eluding too. That is how it is worded in our Sonata anyway.

An additive in the tank can be effective if someone lives in a high humidity area and especially if they’re running Ethanol. An additive can help run any moisture out of the tank without suffering any noticeable performance problems.

Maybe Hyundai realizes that not all it's owners have access to Top Tier gasoline?

Considering a number of years ago Hyundai sold cars primarily to the “economically challenged.” I.e., those most likely to frequent the very low price (none Top Tier) gas stations. They used to be the butt of jokes about cheap cars.

Maybe they learned a few things in their warranty service that encouraged them to include this in their owners manuals. Hyundai has come a long way from that but hard lessons learned stick with you.

Just to clarify, I believe this is for the Direct Injection engines that are more prone to carbon build up, hence they need top tier gas OR a cleaner once in a while.

On a direct injected engine, the injectors introduce gasoline directly into the cylinders. Not at the intake manifold.

So whatever detergent gas or additive that’s put in the gas tank will only keep the injectors/combustion chambers clean. But it won’t keep the intake valves clean

So on a direct injected engine, the decarbonation has to done at the induction system in order to clean the intake valves.

Tester

Is this recommendation in the owners manual or in materials give to you by the dealer? If it is a dealer recommendation, I would ignore it unless it is necessary to maintain a warranty given by the dealer, not Hyundai. Techron is a Chevron trademark, it can’t be used by anyone else without permission so the Hyundai cleaner MUST be made by Chevron.

Tester, that’s true, however intake valves aren’t subjected to combustion deposits anyway. They close at the end of the intake stroke and combustion doesn’t happen until the end of the compression stroke. The intake valves don’t open again until the combustion products have been pushed out through the exhaust valves.

Unless, of course, the EGR valve is open or (in new engines) the variable valve timing system has allowed a bit of exhaust to remain… they’re doing that now in lieu of having an EGR system. In either of these cases, it won’t matter whether the injector is port or direct anyway. The intake valve exposure would be the same.

That’s how deposits form on the intake valves.

From the EGR/PCV gasses entering the intake system

And, if the engine has leaking valve guide seals, that doesn’t help either.

Tester.

True, but would gas treatment help? How would it get to the valves?

Fuel tank additives won’t clean the intake valves in direct injection engines.

Hyundai does recommend the use of fuel system cleaner;

Hyundai Fuel System Cleaner Plus (P/N 00232-19047) is now the approved and recommended service product for complete fuel system cleaning during routine service and preventative maintenance.

NOTE :

^ A 20 ounce bottle treats up to 20 gallons of gasoline.

^ For use in all gasoline engines (MPI or GDI systems).

^ Can be used as often as 3,000 miles or at every oil change.

^ Cleans fuel injectors, intake valves, and combustion chambers.

^ Protects fuel level sending units against damage from sulfur content in fuel.

^ Cleans and protects critical fuel system components from corrosion.

^ Does not harm the emission system or leave behind combustion chamber deposits.

Regular use of Hyundai Fuel System Cleaner Plus with TECHRON® Technology can help address engine carbon deposit related conditions. By removing these deposits, an engine may experience restored engine performance and efficiency, smoother running idle, and cleaner tailpipe emissions.

Some injectors in GDI engines spray a portion of the fuel sideways to hit the intake valve when open.

That’s Techron in a Techron bottle, but a Hyundai label. Just use Techron.

I wonder why anyone one would need to add anything into the fuel with only 15K on the dial. If you’re not experiencing engine trouble or codes I would say skip it.

I just check my Alldata and 2013 Elantra has no mention of fuel additive in any service up to 24K. Normal or severe.

^^ To stay ahead of the game. Once the buildup is there, it must be physically removed.