Hypocritical bumper stickers

Imported from Kentucky, USA? ; )

@db4690, maybe those union workers need to know about their problems. You could send an email to the company or the union if you know which one it is. You’re a level headed sort and could provide useful feedback in a reasonable way to someone that really seems to need it. And not just the union members, the manufacturing company too. They are in it together.

Calling the US "America" is technically incorrect although in common usage.

NO…that is perfectly correct. And many companies use that wording specifically…saying Made in America. The didn’t say Made in the USA. So it could be made in the US…or any where in North or South America…and it’s still technically made in America. Manufacturers count on consumers being confused about it.

@jtsanders

“You’re a level headed sort . . .”

If you only knew the truth of the matter

There’s a reason I’m not supervisor

There’s a reason why I take orders, versus giving them

There’s a reason I will never open my own shop

As Dirty Harry said “A man’s got to know his limitations.”

I know mine

:grimace:

The guy with the old rusted out Detroit iron probably can’t buy a new car because whatever he made is now made in China.

You know your limitations. That’s level headed.

Even though I had heard that car manufacturers were calling Mexico part of North America for production purposes, I had always thought of Mexico as being part of Central America. I will admit that 5th grade geography was MANY years ago, but Wikipedia says that my memory is incorrect and @WhaWho and @VDCdriver are not. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_America

Didn’t Dodge advertise it’s new Dart as being “imported from Detroit” ?

My late father-in-law was a WWII veteran, and always bought locally made products. Giving him presents became increasingly more difficult, as has favorite shirts and ties were now made in China, and nearly every thing electronic was made elsewhere.

Thank God for Gift Certificates; he got to spend the money on items of his choice.
His entire life he drove “American” cars, and only shopped at Sears and other “local” outlets. I did not dare tell him that Shell was Dutch/British.

There are a lot of heated discussions on this ‘America’ deal. I also used to be on the wrong side of the debate until I moved to Mexico and learned better.

There is only one place on the planet whose full legal name includes the word “America”. And, that is the United States of America. Mexico’s legal name, as chosen by its citizens, is (translated) United States of Mexico. It is also a Federal system.

It was geographers who decreed that two continents would include the name, America. The citizens of every nation but one on those two continents did not accept that name as part of their legal name.

Educated Mexicans do not accept they are North Americans, nor Central Americans. In fact, they take the latter as an insult. They consider themselves MEXICANS, period. I have had this discussion several times.

They do accept Canada as part of North America, but the word, Americano, ALWAYS refers to people from the USA.

Geographers gobbledy-gook is the problem, and people who don’t understand that.

VDCdriver When my hot rod was having extensive engine machine work done a friend gave me a 1949 Chevrolet to get to work and back. It was only about 3 miles one way on city streets so it was not completely terrifying. It actually ran and drove OK but was quite lacking in the looks department. The wide whitewall tires and body had a nice mossy patina. It had grass growing out of the trunk lid seam and large sheets of paint peeling and flopping in the breeze. The Earl Scheib “Diamond Gloss Finish” sticker on the back was priceless.

Irlandes, your view regarding the definition of what is American is good to keep in mind. The view of Mexicans is not definitive but certainly deserves consideration. I don’t know who in a position of authority could arbitrate this. Taking a view as an insult may not include logical thinking.

The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) includes Canada, the US and Mexico. All three governments recognize these countries as North American. Anything below that line becomes Central America and then South America.

Most Mexicans I’ve met regard themselves as Mexican first and then as Norte Americanos.

There is nothing wrong with nationalism. I see myself as American first, and I consider myself as a North American next. I also refer to Canadians and Mexicans as North Americans because I prefer to find reasons to include my neighbors rather than find reasons to exclude them. Finding things in common with people gives me more reasons to respect them, and I place a high value on that.