Hydraulics on '05 Mercedes CLK320 convertible

I have an '05 Mercedes CLK320 convertible that I purchased 3 years ago with about 29,000 miles on it. Two years ago the hydraulic lines in the top blew and I spent about $3,000 to have it repaired. Today, the lines blew again. What I’m trying to find out is:

• Is this common in this car? Or in any convertible?
  • Did I just get a lemon?
  • If this isn’t a common problem, should the dealer that repaired the hydraulics 2 years ago fix them again for free?

It only has 70,000 miles on it now and I was under the impression that I could drive a Mercedes for a couple hundred thousand miles without too much mechanical problem. But if this is going to be an ongoing issue, I’m going to get rid of the car, even though I absolutely love it. It’s ruby red, of course!

Would appreciate any insight!
Thanks!

You might try asking on a Benz forum, too:

“It only has 70,000 miles on it now and I was under the impression that I could drive a Mercedes for a couple hundred thousand miles without too much mechanical problem.”

That’s almost funny…

If the top hoses blow, it’s probably because something in the top mechanicals is binding, causing the system to overpressure. Apparently Benz neglected to install a pressure-relief valve on the pump to prevent this kind of problem…Or the factory hoses are not strong enough to carry the pressure…Better hoses can be fabricated if that’s the problem…

Find a Benz forum and post your lament there…

Just to echo the advice already.
Google: Mercedes Benz convertible hydraulic problems
You will find a depressing list of Forum posts.
It appears there are after market companies that specialize in fixing MB top hydraulics.
It may do no good, but complain loud and long to MB.

“It only has 70,000 miles on it now and I was under the impression that I could drive a Mercedes for a couple hundred thousand miles without too much mechanical problem.”

There, I fixed it.

You may want to look into one of the companies that MTraveler suggested. I’m guessing, but they probably install new pumps with overpressure bypass valves & channels to prevent lines blowing.

No, the problem is not common to other convertables.

Many decades ago it was true that Mercedes withstood the rigors of time better than most cars. Their quality and lingevity was legend. Sadly, their quality and lingevity stayed pretty much the same through the 70s, 80s, and 90s while the Asian brands embarked on continuous improvement amd the American brands sank, struggled, then climbed back up the quality hill. Most major brands now have now pretty much surpassed Mercedes in reliability and quality.

Now, when you buy Mercedes, you’re paying not for reliability but rather for luxury. And the CLK320 is defintely the lap of luxury.