Jaguar xk8 convertible top closer problem

My hydraulic fluid in my convertible top pump has been leaking. There is residue on the floor in the front area after the top has been raised. The latch at the top of the front window labors when I raise the top. Can this leak be repaired or does it require new parts?

It can be repaired, you have some seals that are leaking. Most of these seals are O rings. Hydralic repairs aren’t too complicated but beyond me. You can see what your Jaguar dealer says, probably they’ll want some significant money. A specialty convertible top shop may have some hydralic expertise. Even an industrial mechanic who works on lift trucks and hydralic equipment might be able to fix you up.

It can be repaired, but will probably require new parts, even if the parts are just seals or o-rings.

Time for a visit to the Jaguar dealer.

You didn’t tell us the year or mileage of your Jag. Is it possibly still under warranty?

The car has around 40,000 miles and is not under warranty. I have talked to a jaguar dealer about this problem and they gave me an estimate between $1700-2400. Everytime I go there for anything, I get robbed–they hardly ever just repair, they like to replace everything. Am also looking for another repair shop. Thanks for your help.

I have talked to a jaguar dealer about this problem and they gave me an estimate between $1700-2400. Every time I go there for anything, I get robbed–they hardly ever just repair, they like to replace everything. Am also looking for another repair shop. Will check with someone who works with hydraulic lift equipment.

Thanks for your help.

I fixed many convertible tops for GM and BMW (and sunroofs) the worst thing was there was no school for either, it was just get the book out and teach yourself. Mechanics that master both of these items deserve the money. In the end they are just like everything else,what was hard at first ends up being childs play.