Hybrid cars

While shopping last year for several months for a used vehicle I was advised not to purchase a used hybrid vehicle because of batteries remaining life. Was advised need to consider not only the usage (mileage) of the vehicle but also the age of batteries life, even though the drive train battery is made of ion lithum Do they wear out just like portable drill batteries?

I was advised that a rough estimate of batteries (cellblock) life, under normal use, would be a total of 5 years and cost to replace would be half the value of the vehicle is not greater. Is this true?

I think someone was putting the scare you away from hybrid numbers at you. Hybrid drive batteries seem to last a long time, but just how long will they last? That is still an unanswered question. If you buy a new hybrid and plan to keep it 10 years I doubt you will have drive battery problems, if you do the mfg’s seem to be standing behind the batteries. As used vehicles where you don’t know much about the car, how long they will last is a good question.

How much will they cost to replace? Half the value of the car at 10 years old is much less than 1/2 the value off the showroom floor. Batteries are being sold on ebay for decent prices and private brand replacement batteries will come on the market when more hybrid cars are on the road.

Battery replacement won’t be as expensive as 1/2 the value of the car, unless the car is 15 years old and rusted out.

Nickel-metal hydride battery that power the hybrids are very long lasting, usually better than 10 years. The problem in my opinion is that, if you are the second owner, you run the risk of loosing what ever perceived gain you might be looking for in gas savings if the battery needs replacing. The lithium only batteries are usually found in EV vehicles and not hybrids as they are not presently restricted in size as the NiMH batteries are.
The “gazintas” are not in your favor IMO, unless the car is fairly new or you plan on lots of in town driving and very seldom use car on highway. Then the attraction of a used hybrid may be worth it. A combination of age and use has to be considered and not age alone.

Different hybrids,
Different prices.

When buying a used one bargain against the age and price of a battery.
Check the price for the car you’re looking at.

My Daughter’s 03 civic is now in need of the IMA battery at 96,000 miles. It only costs about $ 2500.00
My 06 Escape would be $ 8000.00. I hope the price comes down by the time it ages out.