Hurricane Harvey

Wow! I feel for anybody who feels so terrible most of the time! Bummer, man! Sorry! I feel your pain.

Hey, don’t leave me out! If “conspiracy theorist” is an actual title for somebody who’s looking for ideas that are not consistent with terrorist groups, I’d like to be included, too. :smile:

If you take a real analytical look at what the “progressives” want it correlates with the terrorist groups. There you go. Do I qualify, now? :blush:

Bringing it back around to Harvey, I have relatives with homes on Florida’s east coast and west coast and I just e-mailed a high-school buddy in Clearwater to check on him. I haven’t heard back, yet. Half the guys at our little right wing country club have property between Punta Gorda and St. Pete. :grimacing:
CSA

3 Likes

I like that 61 Impala. I hope it wasn’t in the flood.

That’s interesting, I don’t tune in to his show much but I might have to look up that program segment and listen to what he actually said.
One of the reasons I take the mainstream media’s words with a grain of salt is from listening to what he said directly, as he said it, and contrasting that to what the mainstream media said he said in order to gin up faux outrage.
Out of context quotes can be accurate but still very misleading.

I drove to Victoria TX yesterday after work to attend a funeral. This town is about 45 miles inland from the Gulf of Mexico. I saw lots of minor wind damage, broken service station signs etc. Every house had piles of tree limbs waiting for pickup on the curb. But by and by, most everything was ok in that town.

1 Like

Why, because he doesn’t share your political views? I think the pot is calling the kettle black here, especially since you insist on passionately substituting basic elementary economic theory with a conspiracy theory of your own.

2 Likes

The political/financial situation in the US is a showcase for political mismanagement. Basic elementary economic theory was trashed several years ago. Of course we have had near zero and (-) Fed rates so long that it apparently seems normal to many. But it seems like a house of cards to me.

1 Like

The theory of supply and demand has not been debunked. It can’t be, because it is a model that is used to explain behavior. The behavior may change, but the model tracks behavioral changes. That’s what it’s for.

“The political situation” can’t change that, because it’s not a political theory or model.

There are far too many ancillary determinants for a simple supply-demand curve graph to be more than an approximate probable determination. And the schemers and dreamers in business and politics find all manner of ways to get ahead of the graph’s curves to benefit themselves and their constituents.

1 Like

CSA

Nice try. Not ONCE did I say or was I even concerned what the cause was. All I ever said was it was different.

but you HAVE complained about Global warming is a liberal conspiracy…It’s the conservatives who complain about the liberal conspiracies (aka Science).

1 Like

Whitey - you’re right up there with him. Nice how your conservatives twist the argument around. Conservatives have complained that Science is a liberal conspiracy…that education is a liberal conspiracy…that even lunch money is a liberal conspiracy…but keep listening to Rush Limbaugh for your science and your next conspiracy theory.

1 Like

I’m going to point out that I’ve been visiting this forum for years. Probably over a decade, now that I think about it. I’ve been seeing posts from some of you for that long. I don’t recall ever seeing regulars at each others’ throats as often as I do these days. Ordinarily I’d suggest we come to a consensus - that we can talk politics without making it personal, but 1) I’m not sure that’s possible in today’s identity-politics atmosphere in which The Other is automatically bad, evil, and stupid, and 2) the people who own the forum and keep the lights on for us have asked that we not descend into raw politics, at least not when it isn’t related to vehicles.

My hands aren’t clean on that, and I know firsthand how hard it is to see someone say something blatantly false and intentionally misleading without responding to it, but I’d really like to see us get back to the friendly, respectful group we used to be.

I don’t know if that means that everyone needs to just shut up about politics, or if we need to find an off-site forum to get our politicking out of our system, but it’s becoming fairly irritating to see thread after thread on this car site where a few people start lobbing political grenades at each other while the rest of the people stay silent either because they don’t want to get into it, or because they don’t feel they should given the rules of the forum.

7 Likes

shadowfax:
Thank you for saving wear and tear of my fingertips.

1 Like

Internet partisan factionalism is becoming quite putrid. More and more it’s “us against them” hostility moving toward an Ireland vs UK level. Neither side will concede their own mistakes as they heap ridicule and condemnation on the other side for unsubstantiated and often pointless charges. If I turn on my radio and run the dial I can find acrid political sniping from pundits on the left and right spewing from their daily list of talking points apparently posted by some Ministry of Trooth for each party to further their agenda. And we are suckers to get caught up in the trash talk. I recall seeing “A Face in the Crowd” 50+ years ago and then 20+ years ago realizing just how prophetic the Lonesome Rhodes character and his audience were. If only the network engineers would get together and get some candid videos of the talk radio stars expressing their opinions of their audiences and speaking privately to their patrons we might see what suckers we are in their opinions.

1 Like

Yep it’s called identity politics pitting one group against another for the sake of votes. Been going on now for a while and anyone not subscribing is labeled racist, immoral, lunatic, greedy, etc. Time we end it. On with stuff that works. Including cars.

You want electric cars fine, buy one but don’t force me to have one. You want to take the bus or train, fine but I prefer not.

I agree. Let’s drop the identity politics, especially since @MikeInNH is now identifying me as a conservative for suggesting he stop engaging in identity politics. :roll_eyes:

Pssssst! The Theory of Supply and Demand is nonpartisan. It doesn’t care who you voted for. The same goes for my economics professors. :smirk:

Good to see you back online… Obviously you weathered Irma, have power and internet.

1 Like

I was lucky I didn’t have to evacuate any farther than my mother’s house in Jacksonville, because every hotel and motel room within driving range was booked. I would have had to drive to Tennessee or North Carolina if Irma hadn’t gone farther west than expected before turning north.

We were without electricity for about 12 hours, and power was restored at home today, so we came home.

1 Like

As I have always said to people who preach to me about global warming and climate change.

If you believe in global warming, you’d drive a small car, and coast towards red lights. You’d obey the speed limits and maybe car pool. You’d open the windows and turn on a fan instead of cranking up the AC while sleeping under quilts in the middle of summer. You’d turn off the lights when you left the room and close the back door while the AC is on. You’d stop throwing stuff away just because the new smell was gone. You’d live in a small house that doesn’t cost a fortune to heat and cool.
Riding from coast to coast on bicycles with a chase van following you is just a stunt that does the earth no favors. Bicycles save the planet only if you use them instead of cars.
It’s not who you vote into office on election day, it’s how you choose to live.

I live near a ultra liberal city where climate change is practically a religion but you would never know it by what and how they drive.
If you really want to stop climate change, owning a Prius or a Leaf is not enough, it’s not even close.

1 Like

Ironically, I live pretty much as @B.L.E describes (except for the bicycle), yet do not believe that man can alter the climate in any significant way. If everyone lived as I do, the US economy would probably collapse.

;-]

1 Like