Hurricane Harvey

Somefriends bought a new camper, amish cabinets,guess the amish are working in Formica these days.

I have seen those old fridges scrapped due to their energy use and not failure. I don’t know if some of them will EVER quit.

I have heard the Amish are building RVs now as well. I would assume the quality and such might be a little better than the run of the mill stuff. I can imagine that some the “cheapness” in these things is related to weight since they are meant to be towed. They are also not meant for constant use so not built like a regular house.

Unfortunately I think we are going to see a need for more of these things in the next couple weeks.

Ahhh that’s the tricky part! mobile homes, or pre-manufactured homes meet code because they are homes, only temporary vehicles even though they may have axles until they are parked. RV’s have no real codes to meet because they are vehicles. All the low-voltage (12v) stuff is pretty much junk wiring with little care taken. The AC stuff is usually better because it has to be. It’s the low voltage stuff that runs all the trailer lights that seem to fail on the darkest night, while raining, in the middle of nowhere.

Consider the low-life of trailers, the car hauler or flat-bed. How many times have you come across one of these with one or no tail lights?

It seems like every time we need to take the boat trailer out somewhere, I have to fix something on the lights.

1 Like

Everyone can now rest easy regarding these hurricanes, because all of the warnings are supposedly fake news!

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/09/06/al-roker-calls-out-rush-limbaugh-over-hurricane-irma-theory.html

:thinking:

Wow! Let me see if I’ve got this right…

…A story by Fox News (many call it Faux News) about a radio entertainer saying that storms being the result of man-made climate change is fake news, being reported by a TV Weatherman who _ _ _ _ his pants in the White House, is supposed to have significance somehow?

Who’d have guessed? :wink:

I don’t receive Fox News on my over-the-air TV, can’t receive Limbaugh’s show in my area (carried on AM radio that just buzzes at my house) and I don’t get my weather information from Roker, never have. He’s even lost more credibility with me since the White House story. I can’t unthink about it when I see him. :smile:
CSA

Unfortunately Limbaugh is still considered the GOP Radio spokesman and is still the most listened to talk radio personality. The GOP needing a spokesman - " Gee who can we pick. How about a draft dodging convicted drug addict." For several decades people have been ignoring this racist conspiracy theorist lying mouthpiece thinking that he’ll just go away. What we didn’t realize is how many GED followers he has that vote. It’s about time people stand up to this punk.

Mike, what are “GED followers”? :thinking:

You just did, Mike! :wink:
I’ll bet he won’t last long, now. :smile:
CSA

As long as people like you who follow and stand up for him…he’ll keep going on.

1 Like

More and more the media and press are moving to the extreme edges of the partisan mobs to stir up the various single issue constituencies. If the drama were eliminated a great many people would likely quit throwing rocks and recognize the need for intelligent change rather than ‘my way or the highway’ changes demanded by the mobs.

We are sold phony facades that imply giving us what we desire but loyal Americans buy Chevrolets made in Korea while turning their backs to Toyotas made in Mississippi and those who cheer for building a wall are the ones employing those who walked across the river. The only truth in advertising is that for enough money the media marketers can sell US anything. And we’ll go into debt to pay for it whatever it is.

2 Likes

That makes sense on the wiring. Yes, I have noticed trailers with lights out quite frequently. It seems enforcement of that around here is lax or it just happens so many times. They are good about warning people of lights out on vehicles though.

12V wiring in cars holds up OK so why not make the trailers to the same standard? Sure, I know it will cost more upfront but be less trouble and cost down the road.

Yes, the political partisan stuff just seems to get worse and worse. I was hoping a moderate 3rd party might arise but I don’t know if that will happen. The people blaming whoever just because they are the opposing party is bad. For example, I saw someone criticizing Trump for not opening his Mira Lago resort home to hurricane evacuees. Well, I think that would be a very bad idea as it is right in the direct path they are predicting for Irma and that place might just be leveled.

And you have to remember that FEMA response to Katrina was so scattershot that many of those trailers sat unused in lots as far away as Hope, Arkansas, rotting away in the heat and humidity for months on end before they were ever delivered, if they were delivered at all.

Aside from that, you’re entirely correct. I helped someone buy a used motorhome a few years back and did a lot of research to prepare for it. One thing I learned is that even the 6-figure rigs are often parked in a storage lot somewhere and ignored except for one or two weeks a year. A roof leak develops in September, and no one notices until they pull it out of storage in May. Then they scrub off the visible mold, Febreeze the inside, and try to dump it before the structural damage becomes apparent.

RVs require constant maintenance and even people who only have them as actual recreational vehicles often neglect them scandalously.

1 Like

I have several trailers with non functioning lights. Lucky for me in my state, they are not required as long as the lights of the tow vehicle are visible. Some of my trailers never see paved roads so i don’t really worry about them. The livestock trailers are highly important to maintain working lights.

4x6 utility trailer. One broken light.
16’ car hauler. One broken light.
32’ 20,000# flatbed. No functioning lights.
Diesel light tower trailer. No functioning lights.
20’ livestock trailer. All lights work (I think).
14’ livestock trailer. All lights work (I think).

With all my trailer being used heavily off road, it it nearly impossible to maintain functioning lights. Brush will snag on wires and rip them out of the trailer. These types of trailers typically have holes cut in the underside of the frame and the wires are run through these holes with little or no protection. Also since these trailers are parked in the field, mice also wreck havoc on the wiring.
As I gradually replace the wires, I am torching larger holes in the frame and welding in steel pipe to run the wires through. This is something that would take little extra time or money when they are made new.

It seems like every 5-10 years I just replace all the lights and wiring. This time I went with all LEDs and like them. One thing I do is use an actual ground wire instead of just grounding through the frame. Seems like ground connections are a major issue and using a wire with connectors helps to eliminate that problem.

1 Like

[quote=“Rod_Knox, post:230, topic:107314”]
We are sold phony facades that imply giving us what we desire but loyal Americans buy Chevrolets made in Korea while turning their backs to Toyotas made in Mississippi and those who cheer for building a wall are the ones employing those who walked across the river. The only truth in advertising is that for enough money the media marketers can sell US anything. [/quote]

Yup!
…and that “anything” includes Made in China neckties hawked by a person who shouts that everything should be manufactured in The USA.
:thinking:

4 Likes

The most redneck store in America (Bass Pro Shop) - where over 95% of everything sold there is NOT made in the US.

1 Like

You guys remind me of that Hee Haw song. Gloom, despair, agony on me. Man, climate change causing disasters, earth quakes, fires, pestilence, and even wars? Nasty corporations importing products, people being tricked into over-extending themselves and spending money. Actually you go into Menards or Home Depot and lots of their stuff is now made elsewhere which is precisely why some of us wanted a hard look at globalization and open borders.

To lighten up a little, but a lot of stuff going on right now so let’s not get too distracted.

Bing - you are by far one of the MOST conspiracy theorist followers in this group. BY FAR.

2 Likes

Heh heh, Like I’m the one that complains about gas price fluctuations during a hurricane, and it’s all corporate greed? Good redirect though.

2 Likes

Although most of us are aware of the very possible problems I am posting a link regarding flood damaged Harvey vehicles that may soon enter the used car market.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/heres-what-happens-to-all-of-the-flooded-cars-after-hurricane-harvey/ar-AArt37H?li=BBnb7Kz