Hummmmmmmmmm

My car was making a noticeable sort of loud hum coming from the engine area. Before I brought it in to have an oil/filter & transmission drain/filter/fluid replace ( only because I had 30% off coupons), I saw the power steering reservoir was a bit low, so I refilled it to the marked level. At the dealer service they said they couldn’t hear or isolate the sound & it’s common for p/s res. to lose fluid and not have a leak. I said, " What? ". Anyway, I don’t hear this sound any more & was wondering how that could be possible, if, in fact,that’s what it was making this humming noise. It’s a 2005 Dodge Caravan SXT.

If you used the correct power steering fluid, it seems you have successfully corrected the problem. Good job!

Check the p/s fluid level once a month from now on and top off as necessary. Unless you experience some other problem I would not be too worried about it.

The power steering fluid must be alot more than “a bit low” before it starts making noise. Be happy it is not currently making this noise but stay alert to the possibility of the noise returning. Believe me when I say if there was a chance of selling you extra work they would do so. Is this car under an extended warranty?

Regarding Your Comment:

At the dealer service they said they couldn’t hear or isolate the sound & it’s common for p/s res. to lose fluid and not have a leak. I said, " What? ".

Keep checking that fluid. Sometimes a power steering rack can develop a leak and the fluid can be contained within the accordian “boots” where the tie rods exit. So, it’s possible to leak and not be readily visible.

Do you know if they checked for a leak of this nature ?

CSA

No extended warranty on this car; only warranty left is on transmission until July 2011. I owned it since 2004 - new

They said all areas were checked and all seemed normal.