Humming / buzzing noise with key turned

Hey there so my mom’s car has been having a bunch of problems and when I was just looking over her car I noticed that with the key turned to on it makes a buzzing or humming noise I’ll link a video hope you can hear it. I was wondering what this could be. She replaced the battery about 1 or 2 years ago with a battery from AAA that costed $150 and is supposed to last 7 years. The humming will get higher pitch when you turn the key off for around 20 seconds than stops. https://youtu.be/579nt8bP974

Also my mom’s car will make the chirping noise when you turn the key on and re lights go o and off but it will sometimes make that chirping noise 10 or 20 times in a row like in the middle of each other it’s really odd. I’ll see if I can record that too when it does it again. So it must have something electrical wrong but I dunno what to look thank you for your help in advanced.

This battery that costed (SIC) 150.00, does it start the vehicle?

Yeah it starts fine and right away.

Are you sure your headlight are turned off? This buzzer can warn you in case you forgot to turn them off.

Yes they are off also.

It would be great if you had a stetoscope to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.I suggest you drive to a trusted mechanic and have him listen to it.He will probably not even charge you for his diagnostic.

Could be the fuel pump. Those’ll run whenever you turn the key, even if you don’t turn it far enough to start the engine. And they hum/buzz.

Or it could be self-testing the EVAP system.

My guess is that rascal is right. He’ll probably recognize the noise immediately and not even other to drive it into the shop’s bay.

1 Like