How to get the jack out of CRV?

Got a flat tire. Tried to change the tire myself but I could not get the jack out.

Had to call Road Side Assistance. Even the guy could not get the thing out.

Any tips?

Read the owners’ manual?

It just says take the jack out of the trunk…

1 Like

Is it a screw-type jack, with bottom and top jamming it in place?

The tire shop you take the tire to for repair can probably solve this .

If you can post a photo of exactly what you’re dealing with perhaps we could offer some suggestions to prevent a recurrence of the problem.

How old is the car? Ever had the jack out? It might be RIP (rusted in place).

1 Like

I think this is the new vehicle that Blue Skies purchased Nov. 2015 so it is still under warranty , if the tire shop can’t solve this the dealer should.

On page 62 of the Owners Guide (comes with car and also you can download it from this link http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/QS/AH/AT0Z1515OG/enu/AT0Z1515OG.PDF
it shows step by step instructions. It’s critical that you look at the drawing showing that you must turn the piece at the end of the long screw that runs the length of the jack counter clock wise to loosen the jack. This is very common in many, many cars.

My Corolla’s jack is held in place in a similar way. When the manufacturer puts the jack there in the first place they must turn the jack screw to put a little tension on the jack so it won’t rattle. If the jack has been there a long time and never removed its conceivable it might have freezed up and be difficult to turn that screw by hand. Pliers or a wrench might be needed to get it to start turning.

Thank you all. Twisting the end to cllapse the width further was the way to go. It was just stuck so I could not turn it at first.

3 Likes

Thanks for telling us you got it out. I was losing sleep, worrying.

1 Like

Hello, the jack in the trunk is a scissor jack. To get the jack out of the trunk, the scissor jack needs to be closed/compressed a little. If you look in the trunk around the spare tire you should find a small tool bag. It contains a lug wrench and it contains a tool to raise and lower the jack (it has a hooked end). You may be able to use your hands but i needed the hooked tool. By sliding the hook into the eyelet end of the jack you need to twist the eyelet counter clockwise to close it. After 1/2 turn you should be able to use your hands. When compressed enough, the jack should pop right out. I hope this helps.

If you ever decide to scrap a car, I mean send it to the crusher, keep the scissor jack! I have one I bought for $2 at a flea market, and it comes in very handy from time to time. The main reason is that a scissor jack doesn’t depend on hydraulics, so can be used in any orientation, horizontal, or even upside down.

5 year old post.

Blueskies posted she got the jack out 5 years ago.

The instruction manual link has been followed 2900 times! It must be a popular search engine topic.

I’ve posted links to owner’s manuals many times, and they get used a lot. It’s a mystery why people don’t just Google it themselves. And the age of the thread makes no difference because the information is still pretty much the same.

2 Likes

They are Googling it and this site has a high ranking in Google. I don’t get what people think of when they say “Google” something. Google doesn’t actually host any content. They direct you to other sites which host the content, or host advertising that pretends to be real content.

I wasn’t clear. I meant they should have used Google to find the official owners’ manual and then looked in the index of the manual to find the answer. For some reason owners’ manuals disappear from used cars.