How much would an 1926 Gardner cost?

I am selling an old Garder car and there are not many records of how much it is selling today. I have found on ebay an offer of 10K and another of 65K. There not the same year as mine. The older the car the lower the price was. So i want to have an idea of what price i should put it up for.
Now here is the thing it is in Argentina and i was advice to sell it there rather then bring it in to the U.S. So i asked a few friends if they mint now anyone interested in that car. Jackpot i mite have a buyer. Tho the Argentinne Peso is 1 to 0.062 to the US dollar. So i dont want scare the to be buyer away. What should I price it at?

As we told you when you asked us this the other day, we would have no way of valuing an antique car without seeing it in person.

You state a price-they make counter offer-you settle on final price-end of story.

I added a photo. The website only let me post one

A photo is not going to help. We don’t know the market, can’t inspect the vehicle or hear it run. Experienced classic dealers have lost on deals at times. You need to stop wasting time and give the person a price or have your friends find a local antique vehicle appraiser.

2 Likes

Have YOU even seen the vehicle in person? Do you know what model it is?? A Brougham? A Phaeton? A Roadster? Cabriolet or Imperial Sedan?

Does it run? Is it complete? Has it ever been restored? When? To what level?

From picture I’d say, it doesn’t run, it is NOT complete and its never been restored. Negative, BIG negative and Positive in that order.

It is a compete guess. The car is worth what someone who has CASH in hand will pay.

And hasn’t for a long time because it’s sitting in the corner with crap piled all around it (which is why they can’t get a shot with the entire car in frame - too much junk in the way).

It doesn’t look complete. It looks like the body from the doors back is missing. There is a tire on the garage floor under the car. Does it belong with the car? Does it have four original rims? Those seats look awful. Are they original? As the others said, it is hard to tell much about it from one picture that shows very little of the car. Still, I think it is a basket case. Do you have any idea when it ran last? It seems to me if it could be sold for $60,000 in excellent condition, this car would need well over $60,000 to bring it up to top condition.

Additionally, are ANY OEM parts available for restoration?
With low-volume makes of cars, the probability of finding parts for restoration is usually extremely difficult, and that can mean paying machinists to create mechanical parts from scratch, and it can necessitate body repair people who are tantamount to magicians.

Additionally, this car is from the era when a wooden framework was used to support the body panels. More than likely, those wooden parts would need to be recreated–at considerable cost.

Not that I know much about it but the web site provided before had one in the $60K range. But as JT said, that was for a well restored model in excellent condition. From the one picture, it looks like it is in very poor condition and not all there and not original. Just off hand I can’t believe that it would be worth more than $5-10,000 the way it sits, where it sits. Might want to grab a current copy of Hemmings and see if there is anything in there or find one of the listed appraisers and just give them a quick call on it. But someone that is going to have to go world wide to find parts and try and restore it, if the top value is $60,000, doesn’t have a lot of margin to work with.

Not much to make a US buyer want to take the risk of bidding. Lots of damage. There are old car clubs in Argentina. I’d go to some meets with photos and a video, see what they think.

That looks like a roadster that was modified into a pick-up and the seats may have come from a Jeep.

It may be difficult to find someone interested in restoring that car, it might be a good parts car for others in the hobby. The cost of shipping that car to the States may be greater that its value.

See if there is a “Gardner Club of America”, something like that…They may have a web-site where you can contact other Gardner owners, show your pictures, see if there is any interest…The ones that might sell for $60,000 are show / museum quality restorations that are 100% driveable…The pile of parts in the picture is a long. long ways from that…I don’t see any great value there…Looks to be right hand drive…Did Gardner ever make such a model?

Might of looked like this at one time, extra pieces? more pics?

The OPs car has the windshield frame of the larger Model 90 roadster, I only found pictures of 1927 to 1930 models like this so the OPs car might be later than a 1926 model. This car may have some valuable parts to others restoring these cars but the value of this car would not be in the tens of thousands of dollars.

Like the Beverley Hillbilly’s truck!

1 Like

The Beverly Hillbillies vehicle was constructed by George Barris using a 1922 Oldsmobile base and a vintage truck chassis.

My personal favorite TV car is the Munster car.

The Gardner? My guess is that the one in the photo’s worth varies with the market for recycled steel.
Or maybe a bit more as a parade vehicle.