How Much Damage is Likely?

If I was on a jury I would be hard pressed to say I believe this. I would need for you to move those little toy cars on the diagram and show me.

I would also be comfortable saying 3000.00 tops (with paint) BUT a guy is suppose to look at the car before giving an estimate. Many estimators have “blown” the estimate and they had a chance to actualy see the car.

The way the accident happened does not matter to me at all. You could have backed into Sarah Palins car and pulled a hit and run and I could care less (in fact I would help you fix your car if that was the case).

Oldschool, thank you very much for your “guesstimate.” I haven’t taken it to the appraiser yet, (appointment this Thursday) but I was trying to get an idea. I almost have the darned thing paid off, but my policy says if the damage is more than it’s worth - they consider it a loss - and that would really tick me off, since I’ve almost paid it off. Either way, I can’t stand not being able to get my point across, so here’s my diagram of the accident:

Before the “hit”

-----------GUY—
------ME---------

—FAR LEFT LANE-

BEFORE THE “HIT”

------ME-GUY-----

AFTER THE “HIT”

------ME---------
------GUY--------

He was coming from behind, didn’t have enough room to clear the rear of my car and hit it.

For the love of…

This isn’t that hard to understand.

The idiot is in the right lane, and coming up fast, with lilbopeep in the middle lane, still up ahead.

Idiot sees the traffic built up in the right lane, and swerves into the middle lane.

Idiot realizes that he’s way too close to lilbopeep’s car, and swerves again to get into the left lane, but it’s too late, and basically drives through the left rear corner of lilbopeep’s rear bumper, taking out the tail light, and scraping the left side of the car.

Basically, the idiot almost cleared her, but didn’t.

Its not that hard to understand.

BC.

HALLELUJAH!! HALLELUJAH!! HALLELUJAH, HALLELUJAH, HALLLLLLEEEEEELLLLLLUUUUJJJJAAAAAHHHH!! Yes, that is exactly what happened! Thank you! I guess I must have had a hard time putting it in words???

Even with this diagram I still don’t see how “guy” caused the damage on the left side of your car. Now if “guy” had to swerve back to the right (and then hit your car) because he pulled out too hard to the left that would explain things.But then his damage would be on his front right.

Me saying 3000.00 was really going out on a limb. I have seen minor parking lot mishaps cost 800.00 to repair and the damage was only cosmetic to the cover on the bumper. These things can add up real fast.

I’ll repeat myself:

This isn’t that hard to understand.

The idiot is in the right lane, and coming up fast, with lilbopeep in the middle lane, still up ahead.

Idiot sees the traffic built up in the right lane, and swerves into the middle lane.

Idiot realizes that he’s way too close to lilbopeep’s car, and swerves again to get into the left lane, but it’s too late, and basically drives through the left rear corner of lilbopeep’s rear bumper, taking out the tail light, and scraping the left side of the car.

Basically, the idiot almost cleared her, but didn’t.

Its not that hard to understand.

BC.

Lilbopeep also says in the very first reply to the thread that the damage on the idiot’s car IS on the Right Front of it.

Hopefully we can move past the bit about the accident now, and get to actually answering her real question, of how much damage might be done to the car.

Anyway, aside from the bumper and impact absorbing material, plus the tail light assembly, there will be the straightening of the car’s unibody structure to get everything to line back up, repair of any damaged wiring, repainting of your car, plus all the suspension components in that corner need to be closely inspected, plus the alignment MUST be inspected, and corrected.

In fact, putting the car on the alignment rack should be the first thing that is done, as that will let you know if something is bent, or out of spec, and will allow your mechanics to look closer at the suspension and mounting locations.

This will cost a bit if done correctly.
You should insist on it.

BC.

As I read the OP, she’s looking for help with an estimate, not with second-guessing how things occurred. It would helpful if folks could stick to the question at hand, especially since this is in the hands of police who likely have better skills at handling these types of situations. Trying to question veracity or motives seems wide of the mark and inappropriate to me.

I would say your in the $2,000-$3,000 range. There’s a lot of labor involved in that quarter panel repair. Could be struc. damage too; it’s impossible to tell by a picture.

I have been offering help to the OP and I have said that how the accident happened does not matter. If these guys want to get all uptight over me saying I don’t believe the story, well that is their problem, I am entitled to be skeptical of the description of the story.

Has anyone else expressed how much they think it would cost to fix the car?

So Dfrom agress with my estimate, very brave to agree with me.

OP should go after the at fault driver for the entire amount. The at-fault driver does not get to benefit from the fact that the OP had collision insurance.

Thank you all for your informative opinions - I am completely car illiterate, so the feedback is a TREMENDOUS help! When I do get my car appraised tomorrow, I will definitely make sure the alignment and suspension components are inspected. I am going to ask for a complete list of maintenance repairs and perhaps get a few opinions from other body shops… Either way, thank you all for your help - I feel one hundred times more prepared than before!

FOR CRYING IN A BUCKET!!! As soon as I read lbp post I pretty much had it figured out. Then I saw the diagrams and it was just as I figured, it was not that hard.

From the pictures the quarter panel can be repaired as well as the suspension. I do not suspect any frame rail or inner quarter damage. It does not need any prepulling either.

I could see this running between $2,000 - $3,000. There are plenty of variables. I see the qtr needing about 6-8 hours, taillamp, rear bumper cover, blending the deck lid and left rear door and r&i (remove & install) deck lid mounted lamps, trim and replacement of badges. Also r&i door belt moulding, handle, side moulding if the car has one and interior trim panel. Blending is required since your car is white. White is very difficult because there are umpteen different shades of white and something like this cannot be panel painted.

Other varibles include, will the insurance company use new aftermarket, used Kia parts or new OEM body parts. Will the ins comp use only OEM parts since suspension is considered safety related or will they use a used knee assembly?

Peep, I have inspected over 6,000 wrecked vehicles and I have seen plenty of stuff like this. Someone claimed the bent rim was prior but don’t worry about that. This looks related, I have seen it a hundred times.

Will it total? Do not know, it depends on the year, miles and a few other details.

It really bites when someone like this shows up in ones life. I am glad you have his plate number.
Happy motoring!

r u not wanting to make a claim? i didnt read it all but if your worried about structural damage im looking at the rim n thinking there may b none. put a real tire n rim on n drive it "Carefully n c how it acts

If you care… With parts, labor, and paint job, my car’s estimate is roughly $3,000 and possible hidden damage. Some of you all were spot on. And just on a side note, I have filed with my insurance, as I’m still not sure if the other driver has insurance. The police report is ready, but because it’s Veteran’s day and their office is closed, I have to wait until tomorrow. Again, thank you all for your professional and astute observations!

Thank you for posting back. Members of this board sometimes complain when posters don’t follow up their questions with the ending of the story, so it’s nice when someone does.

Scrabbler

And since this discussion went beyond just the damage… THE OTHER DRIVER WAS FOUND THE NIGHT I WAS HIT!!! The police arrested the other driver - the driver was issued six tickets, two being DUI related. The driver was arrested and hauled off to jail. Thank goodness the cops got the driver. The even better news is they have insurance!

Whoops! I missed all the great follow up. I got upset by the interrogations and didn’t finish the thread before posting. My bad.

I’m happy to hear that the driver was arrested. I’ll bet this wasn’t his first offense.

Sincere best. Fortunately nobody was apparently injured.

Anytime I was drunk and pulled a hit and run (and made it home) I slammed a 6-pack and said all the drinking was done at home :0) NOTE THE EMOTION SYMBOLS!

Its a KIA, claim it on your insurance, if you are not too up side down its a total anyways, that wheel bend ='s strut/stub axle+wheel brg maybe… the other stuff is fluff…A PDR guy can smooth it out the dents, you are screwed on the paint though…